Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK ‘A Reckoning for Our Species’: The Philosopher Prophet of the Anthropocene

Some interesting ideas, but the guy is really out there.

Tomfoolery33 9 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

" For the past 12,000 years, human beings lived in a geological epoch called the Holocene, known for its relatively stable, temperate climes. It was, you might say, the California of planetary history. But it is coming to an end. Recently, we have begun to alter the Earth so drastically that, according to many scientists, a new epoch is dawning. After the briefest of geological vacations, we seem to be entering a more volatile period." absolutely. It is late and I need to study this more, but, so far I agree.

There's no doubt about that, at least in my mind.

we need more people like him.

I guess I'm not sure how 'out there' I'd call him. Most of his ideas from the link ring pretty true to me. Thanks for the name -- Timothy Morton. I'll look up his stuff.😊

His 'hyperobjects' concept -- things that strongly influence us and that are too big for us to easily comprehend -- strikes me as a very useful tool for studying trends in the shrinking world we're seeing. Things like Climate Change and the Internet affect each of us but are far too complex to understand quickly.

And I agree with ideas alluded to in the article -- each small thing each of us does contributes to the trend. It doesn't seem like much when you start your car in the morning but when we all do it each day...
Thanks again for his name as a resource.

I don’t have time to read the full article but is there any indication as to when he thinks the Anthropocene period began

Would that be long before the Industrial Revolution?

Some other group has decided that it began in 1950, when elements from radiation began showing up.

My basic take on the phenomena is the saying, ‘We evolved on essentially a flat, infinite plane with so few people that we could ignore them. Today we live in a crowded, interconnected, and fragile spaceship.” You need different laws and customs to survive.

Or, reduce the world population by 95%.

Unfortunately, after biological changes social changes are the slowest.

@JackPedigo in other words “ it is impossible to teach someone something when his livelihood depends on his not knowing it”.

@Detritus That is partially true (I wouldn't say impossible but difficult) but the point is that cultural mores are, next to physical changes, the slowest to evolve.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:410385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.