Agnostic.com

6 1

I believe in the universe, the millions and millions of stars. We'll never know the answers to life's eternal questions, certainly not during our stay on this planet.

Bopeep 2 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you believe the Universe is infinite?

gater Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

I don't believe it's infinite, with expansion theory almost universally accepted I think there must be an edge to the universe. What's on the other side is what interests me. Are there new laws of physics? New elements? Missing elements?
Is it a permeable membrane or an impenetrable shell? If one could ride the expansion wave (like surfing) they will be traveling faster than light speed, but what would happen in a place of no space/time?
I think my brain just went down the rabbit hole pondering that. And don't say white mice and 42. lol

@MacTavish Those theories are flawed - the Universe has always been here - and it extends forever.

@gater that's the beauty of theories, they are guesses. Perhaps educated guesses but still a guess. We have the option to believe which theory we want as it pertains to us.
I am curious though, how is the redshift observation explained in a non-expanding universe?

@MacTavish There is "the universe" which extends forever - this does not and can not expand. There is also the "Observable Universe" which is everything we can see. What we see is expanding.

@gater oh, ok, gotcha!!

The earth is sacred, the universe divine.

do we have to even?

Well then might as well make the best of it we can. To wonder at the stars and live life like it won't ever happen again.

cava Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

What are life's eternal questions?

gater Level 7 Mar 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.