Agnostic.com

11 9

The thing that bothers me about christianity is that most of it is centered around the afterlife. People spend their whole lives worrying about their status after they are dead. In fact so much that they forgot to live. We have to be in the here and now and not in the future. Certainly not Ithe past or we forget to appreciate the present for what it is. An evolving universe. If you compare the present with the past, your never going to be happy but people generally equate the past with the good old days. They haven't learned the beauty of the present and what it has to offer.

lbusche 7 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with you, but this is true of all religions, including Buddhism which goes on about reincarnation and reaching nirvana. They're all the same: pay now, die later and reach heaven, or equivalent. In so doing they distract us from being the best we could be here, and I mean as a species.

You state exactly what I have experienced, over my life time! This mind set, of living for...after you are dead...wares out real fast, under scrutiny! Might as well, take one's self out, if the afterlife, is your deepest desire?

I have heard quite a few people describe Christianity as a death cult. To be honest, I have to agree.

I most certainly agree.

Christians throughout the centuries have always believed they were living in the "end times". Their sole purpose in life is to expedite the second coming of Christ. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time for actual living..

So true. I many evangelicals aren't really living in the present. One friend of mine constantly talked about wanting to die so she could be with her parents in heaven. The woman was in her mid forties.

If you think about the past, you're depressed. If you think about the future, you have anxiety.

Agreed. I watched "Gods of Egypt" last night.
The "Afterlife" was a large part of the plot.
Seems most of the religious cults throughout history have been terribly concerned with that.

My past was a nightmare, the present is pretty decent, the future, who knows?
My mother wasted her life thinking only of the afterlife.
Most people I know waste their lives working for their future.
I have avoided both those roads.

The amazing thing is that actually the Bible says there is no afterlife....
From Ecclesiates chapter 9

2 It is the same for all. There is one fate for the righteous and for the wicked; for the good, for the clean and for the unclean; for the man who offers a sacrifice and for the one who does not sacrifice. As the good man is, so is the sinner; as the swearer is, so is the one who [c]is afraid to swear. 3 This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that there is one fate for all men. Furthermore, the hearts of the sons of men are full of evil and insanity is in their hearts throughout their lives. Afterwards they go to the dead. 4 For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope; surely a live dog is better than a dead lion. 5 For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten. 6 Indeed their love, their hate and their zeal have already perished, and they will no longer have a share in all that is done under the sun.​

My past was definitely in the good ole days category. The present mostly sucks, future will, too. Mostly.

Another excellent point about the religious people. I have found when they are in the present they bash the other religions. There is one bible study 'class' here at the complex. There had been another but it disbanded as the one who wanted to run it wanted to bring politics into the discusssions AND petitions - like about abortions, Planned Parenthood, etc. Most in the group objected so the sort of just fell apart and it was canceled. The one remaining seems to bash and gossip mostly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41058
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.