Agnostic.com

4 5

LINK How The Loss Of U.S. Psychiatric Hospitals Led To A Mental Health Crisis : NPR

I remember this horrible for those patients

bobwjr 10 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What happened was when inpatient closed they were put on unsupervised outpatient many didn't stick and were lost

One of the biggest media influencers that led to the acceptance of the de institutionalized [pbs.org]

The article states:

"State hospitals began to realize that individuals who were there probably could do well in the community," he tells Here & Now's Jeremy Hobson. "It was well-intended, but what I believe happened over the past 50 years is that there's been such an evaporation of psychiatric therapeutic spaces that now we lack a sufficient number of psychiatric beds."

I don’t think that’s what happened. I think that there were a series of legal cases challenging involuntary commitment of mentally ill patients. This article catalogs those cases.

[mentalillnesspolicy.org]

Some horrible, horrible things used to happen in some of those mental asylums. Today there are strict requirements before a person can be hospitalized involuntarily. It has been decided that mentally disturbed people are better off in their communities rather than locked in an asylum and that they have a legal right to be free.

President Reagan closed U.S. psychiatric hospitals, creating the huge homeless problem in America. Heartless.

Vote Republicans out of office!

True by stopping aid to states for that

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:410781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.