Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK Jordan Peterson vs Alan Watts, with Tim Lott (Patreon Exclusive) - YouTube

Rebel Wisdom interviews British author and atheist, Tim Lott on the similarities between Jordan Peterson and Alan Watts.

skado 9 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm the opposite of @brentan. I've read nearly everything by Watts and almost nothing by Peterson. So my opinion of this discussion is rather meaningless, though I did enjoy it.

Peterson has an ax to grind with post-modernism and radical feminism. Is anything actually true for everyone? Peterson reminds me a bit of Ben Shapiro, same ax to grind.
Alan Watts is a treasure. Peterson is not my treasure although he has something to say, his religious views are ambiguous. I could never figure out if he is a Christian or not.
Perhaps you can clarify.

@OwlInASack I agree. What little I've seen of him I get his ire towards the so-called radical left.
Like I said, I can agree with him as to post-modernism's cover for traditional personal pronouns in Canada being basically thrown away because of gender ambiguities and written into law. This is what brought Peterson to prominence.
The thing about Peterson and Shapiro is that in their analysis of contemporary leftists is they trash Marxism but Marxist analysis through the Frankfurt School of Critical Analysis is spot on. The Dialectic of Enlightenment is well worth reading but hard to comprehend as most philosophical works are.

Many of the complaints against JP are probably justified - he has some issues that I think are based on his own unresolved psychology, but that could just be my own prejudices speaking, I don’t know.

Whether or not he’s Christian depends on one’s definition of Christian I suppose. I have always thought, as Lott mentions in this video, that JP did not believe in a literal God, making him, in some people’s eyes, an atheist.

But where JP and I agree profoundly is in the view that true Christianity is not about literalism, but rather about symbolic truth. In that sense, I regard Peterson as the very best kind of Christian, philosophically speaking (not qualitatively speaking - he may miss the mark in the compassion department) .

@skado The best kind of Christian may be a Marxist. I can't imagine Jesus (I am pretty convinced that he didn't exist) as a Hummer driving deity with cowboy boots playing the banjo from Nashville.
Surely, Christianity has many great values, symbolic language that alludes to somebody's truth but in general, post-modernism's deconstruction of literary truth might subject biblical truths and symbolism to its methods. I haven't subjected the bible to this. I was born Jewish with the builtin skepticism my dad, an atheist cantor, loaded me with.

@OwlInASack That old saying, "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" seems pertinent because one should separate the analysis from the objective.
It's just another tool in the toolbox.
Why didn't the communist revolution happen in the industrial west but happened with a bunch of serfs in Russia was the question answered by the Frankfurt School of Critical Analysis. Further, Madison Avenue Advertising through Freud's nephew Edward Bernays coupled with the "culture industry" makes a tidy package to usurp the American heart into a blanket narcissism in the United States and some of the industrial west.
When I first encountered Peterson he was on a panel discussing narcissistic personality disorder and how it seems to be American's national personality.

Jordan Peterson looks very grim nearly all the time, and he has a fixation with lobsters.

SKH78 Level 8 Oct 8, 2019

I enjoyed that analysis. I thought maybe Watts was focused on peace of mind and Peterson on responsibility. At the same time, I admit that while I've read or watched practically everything about Peterson, I missed Watts completely.

I think that’s a fair summary of the two focuses; peace of mind and responsibility.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:411772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.