Agnostic.com

12 18

Today's hike: Snowing hard at the summit with howling winds

Today we drove into a winter storm. Karen and I nearly turned tail. We're spoiled in sunny Wenatchee. But we soldiered on.

With five women, I hiked to the summit of Sauer's Mountain, 3,100', gaining 2,000 feet of elevation over three miles one way.

It was raining down below. At the summit, it was snowing hard with howling, frigid winds. Pants got wet from falling snow while sitting on rocks eating lunch. Got deeply chilled. Didn't want to get my down jacket wet by taking it out of my pack.

Shivering, I changed into dry clothes on my upper body, covered with a fleece jacket and raincoat. Thankfully, my hat covered my ears. I had warm gloves.

Left my camera in the car because of the rain and snow. In the storm, we couldn't see mountain views.

Here is the view from the summit on a sunny day. The Enchantments and me, 2016.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is why I am in AZ.

@tinkercreek, @callmedubious, @ToolGuy, @GypsyOfNewSpain, @RoyMillar, @Pamscwf1, @bobwjr, @Spinliesel, @Trailrider, @ShadowAmicus, @JackPedigo

This is what we hiked in yesterday. We were closest to Stevens Pass.

"To those in Eastern Washington looking incredulously back and forth from your window to your calendar: Yes, it’s Oct. 9. And yes, that’s snow on the ground.

"An upper-level, low-pressure system moved through the greater Puget Sound region on Tuesday and made its way over the mountains, bringing 11 inches of snow to Stevens Pass, almost 4 inches to Snoqualmie Pass and 6 inches to Mount Baker. It then moved east and caused a record-breaking early snowfall, according to the National Weather Service in Seattle.

"The 3.3 inches of snow recorded at Spokane International Airport broke the daily record previously set in 1981, according to the weather service in Spokane.

"The snow also caused leaf-laden branches to snap, downing power lines and leaving more than 60,000 people without electricity, The Spokesman-Review reported.

"Spokane Public Schools have been closed for the day."

[seattletimes.com]

Just be careful please

People may not understand the significance of a "pass." Here's a web cam link [wsdot.com]
I worked on this pass for over 10 years on what is known as the Iron Goat (Great Northern Railway) rails to trails project. This is more my kind of hike @ 2% grade. [tripadvisor.com]
Hmm, looks like you in the photo. lol

Sounds like a Tough Mudder moment!

nice day on the GC today in central van isle. started at 11:30 in a cold overcast 8/hr wind. after 1 hr the sun came out & it was pleasant. i was one of the few ppl on the course in shorts but was never really uncomfortable.

You go High... I go Low... enjoyed until yesterday 10 good days in Puerto Rico. I know I will turn Dark with that Caribbean Sun... looking forward to it.

Beautiful pics you are one Hardy lady for venturing out in those conditions

Nice pictures!

Be careful

You probably know this, but wool is the perfect fiber for weather like that. Even wet, it will keep you warm. Unlike down, it is much tougher and easier to care for.
Says a knitter from way back! What a great hike!

@Spinliesel

I'm allergic to wool and lanolin. Lanolin is often used in creams and lipstick. It makes my lips and skin crack and turn red like a burn.

My daughter and sister are also allergic to wool and lanolin.

@LiterateHiker What a shame. Have you tried Cashmere? No lanolin, but outrageously expensive.

@Spinliesel

Cashmere is itchy as wool to me. Torture.

Excellent. The suffering is the fun.

You be careful up there ... and wear the down coat if it's that cold ... it will dry out later ... better than hypothermia

@ShadowAmicus

You're right. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker wish I could be up there with you ... long time since I walked the arctic

This is beyond hard core. I remember some 20 years ago going for a scramble (I think it was Mt. Si) and it about killed me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:411842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.