Agnostic.com

7 13

'Stand your ground' killer Michael Drejka sentenced to 20 years in slaying over parking space

The conclusion is powerful and true.

Ben Crump, an attorney for Britany Jacobs, called the conviction and sentencing of Drejka "historic."

"It was also important for the spirit of Trayvon Martin and all the victims of 'stand your ground' murders," Crump said. "And it was also important for the supporters, those people in the community of color to know that equal justice is possible in America when a white person kills an unarmed black man and then claims the protections of the racist 'stand your ground law' to vindicate them."

[abcnews.go.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm only surprised that one of these cowards was actually tried AND convicted

Me too!

IMHO this is a good law which was written to provide a means for people to protect themselves. I have attached a link to the statute. As you can see the law is written clearly. I agree with the verdict and sentence for Mr. Drejka because his actions were unreasonable with respect to the law.

Crump is just doing what a social justice lawyer should do. I would not be surprised if he made another million from the impending civil litigations.

[leg.state.fl.us]

@OwlInASack There is conflicting data regarding the benefit of stand your ground laws. But 34 states have adopted these laws either through legislation or case law. I have no problem disagreeing with someone who is informed.

[en.wikipedia.org]

@OwlInASack The morality of this issue is subjective in the context of social benefit. Like you said we each have our own view.

How delightful! It was a stupid law to begin with and possibly now...they'll repeal it. Or am I being an optimistic idiot AGAIN?

Great news. It's about time some of these murderers were held accountable!

Happy some common sense was applied and he was given a long sentence

"Stand Your Ground" is intended to result in the deaths of minorities, and the general repression of their freedom.

That seems ludicrous.

@bigpawbullets of course it sounds ludicrous to a gun worshiper

@BitFlipper
Stop it! 😆
I'm an Agnostic!!!!

Good start

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 10, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:412557
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.