Agnostic.com

4 6

I was admitted to the hospital recently. And I got the standard litany of questions, including this fun bit of dialogue:

"Religious preferences?"

"I prefer that there be none."

"We have to ask this..." She seemed flustered.

For me, the hospital trip was a minor one. Heart racing, could have died, blah blah blah. On the plus side, I did get to watch a "Rick and Morty" episode I hadn't seen.

Robotbuilder 7 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They always want that religious affiliation. I tell them I have none and religion is not important to me. I'm sure it upsets them. If the doctor doesn't help you they want to send in god. Or, even if the doctor has years or training they want to pray that "god will guide" him.
This is almost as bad as that old cartoon where the man is flat on his back in bed and the doctor is giving instructions to the nurse. She has a strange look on her face as the doc says "nurse, he's not responding to the medication so why don't you try jacking him off."

That's weird to be asked that for a medical situation... haven't come across that.

It's a catholic hospital It's the closest and the best here. They do have the standard dead man on a stick in every room. They're not overly obnoxious about it. But I think the priests there have learned to stay away from me anyway. 😉

Pickle Rick, my favorite.

I went through the same thing back in November when I was admitted to the hospital.
I looked the questioner right in the eye and said "I am an atheist."
Had to spend a Sunday in there, and no pastors came by to visit. It was peaceful.
Although, being on morphine as I was, might have made for some interesting conversation.
Glad you didn't die. 😉

Oh man, morphine. Oh, and dilaudid too. I've been on both at hospitals. Lying in a hospital bed after major surgery felt like lying on a tropical beach at sunset, with the waves in the background. What made it all the better was that I knew I wa safe-- no worries about adulterated drugs or incorrect dosages. If I ever became a drug addict, it would be either morphine or dilaudid.

@Robotbuilder Truthfully, I'm not big on morphine. However, I was in enough pain, I tolerated it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41292
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.