Agnostic.com

7 0

For the vets! In your opinion, what is the attitude of the rank & file in the armed services about religion?

Were you a non-believer while enlisted?

atheist 8 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion has it's testicles deeply implanted in the military system.

In my experience, it varied from bible thumpers to atheists. I was a christian going in but I came
out an atheist.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 22, 2018

I have never been in the forces, my mum and dad were both in the last war, father a spitfire pilot mother a welder on london docks, neither had a religious bone in their body.

The attitude seems to be: God, Country, Family. When I was in bootcamp at Parris Island, I remember we had these recruits we called Lay Leaders. I remember being on a long force march, and one of the lay leaders came up to this small recruit who was struggling and crying. The lay leader kept commanding him to pray!

@Galihad_Z Seems like prayer is the catch-all answer to everything. The Christian version of "42".

But in the end God failed this young recruit. He didn't graduate with us. Mysterious ways I guess... Lol

Interesting question. I completed my service obligation in December of 1983 and have only an opinion on what the current attitude is. My guess is that while the majority are probably still believers, ranks of non-believers is growing rapidly, just as it is in the rest of society.

For my part, I can say that when I enlisted in 1979, I was a dyed in the wool believer, sickeningly "witnessing" to anyone who would listen in idiotic attempts to save their "immortal souls." In basic training (Air Force), I recall everyone went to church, mostly to escape the alternative of cleaning toilets or whatever in the barracks. I went too, and I was immensely disappointed at the concert atmosphere. I barely remember what the chapel was like, but there was a stage with a live band. There was no real message or lesson being delivered. It was just entertainment. This was the beginning of the end for me. I wouldn't say I became an Atheist as a result of the experience, but my opinion certainly changed at that time. New information later helped to change my thinking completely.

@IAMGROOT I used to be into pipe organs (although more pop than liturgical) and always wondered how the Air Force Academy justified the cost of that ginormous pipe organ, one of the world's largest. For that matter I don't know how most churches justify the pomp and circumstance, of which pipe organs are just one example. Even the local UU church here has a reproduction tracker design that, although quite small (about 23 ranks by my calculation), had to have cost about $1.5 million to construct in 2018 dollars, and is not cheap to tune / maintain either. And it gets played for about 15 minutes once a week (some weeks). I can think of SO many other things endowments of wealthy patrons could be used for.

Most are religious.

I am not a VET but even though they appear strict in so many ways, I believe the rank and file would be allowed to practice mainstream religion. But then again, most ignorance is found within the rank and file But then again we have Trump and his gang, freaking idiots

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41307
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.