Agnostic.com

3 5

Cranberry-Apple Chutney

Yesterday I made a double-batch of Cranberry-Apple Chutney and canned it in pretty jars.

It will be gifts for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas. Everybody loves it. I made extra so I have enough to use all year round.

Cranberry-Apple Chutney is great with turkey, pork and chicken. Some friends love it on toast.

"I wonder if the next bite is just as delicious?" my friend Kameon thought, eating it with a spoon at her kitchen sink. She ate the whole jar.

Canning is a major production. Dashed out at 6 p.m. for more jars. Finished 21 jars, washed dishes and collapsed at 9:00. Today I'll make labels.

Cranberry-Apple Chutney

3 cups brown sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup apple juice
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon orange peel
1/2 tsp. salt

5 Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 package (12 oz.) fresh cranberries
2 cups raisins

Combine the first group of ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan (brown sugar through salt). Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the fruit to the mixture in the saucepan, then turn to very low, and cook until the chutney thickens. The amount of time will vary with the amount of juice in the apples. But it needs to cook at least one hour. Stir frequently. Remember that it will thicken as it cools, so remove it from the heat just before it reaches the very thick stage.

Divide between containers, if you are giving the chutney as a gift. I can it in pretty jars and give it as gifts. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It will go well with those meats ,looks very yummy ,Thanks for making me hungry 🙂 and Sharing

Yum! Thanks for sharing.

I think I will not gain weight if it stays in the jar. I do not know if that is possible though, it looks quite tastee.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:413565
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.