Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK An 8-year-old was barred from school photos because of 'extreme hairstyle'

I don't see anything wrong with the hairstyle. Do you? Should she have to adhere to the "white" version of natural? I have this thing about spelling. You'll see if you read this.

IAJO163 8 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think her hairstyle is beautiful, but that's not the rule the school says is broken. Personally, I have a problem with that much control over someone's appearance, but they agreed to it when they sent their daughter there. Their case would be stronger if they could show that other children had colored their hair and were permitted to have their pictures taken.

I don't think anyone was actually aware of the rule until this enforcement. It's like contracts. Who reads the entire thing? No excuses but ...

@IAJO163 I suspect that's true given how young she is. I was in and out of Catholic schools growing up and we knew every nuance of our rules: how short we could get our skirts, how high our heels, the color of our shirts. In their favor, we had a lot of latitude in expressing our individuality with hair, socks, jewelry, etc.

On the other hand, I consider discouraging/punishing natural black hair infuriates me. It's outright racist.

Extreme? Seems more like a desire to make every kid conform to a standard and chipping away at any individual thought and expression.
Show me a kid wearing bright colours, dancing, singing, wanting to engage in life ... that one may become a person worth knowing

That is ridiculous. I think the problem lies with the particular school and they are wasting their time with something that should be a non-issue. I suppose the school has some right to make some rules for something they are publishing but, seriously?

BTW, I happen to think her hairstyle is cute, and don't see anything about it that it is extreme.

Her hairstyle looks great. Unfortunately, she broke the school rule banning artificial hair coloring in school pictures.

I wonder what they'd do if they came upon a child with that premature gray syndrome? In today's society the hair could've been purple or neon green. LOL!!!

It looks ok to me, but they do have that rule about natural color. There are too many senseless rules.

What on earth is wrong with it. It looks lovely. My six year old granddaughter goes to school with different hairstyles all the time. Her mother used to be a hairstylist.

These people that make those decisions need to experience real life and address failing school academic success and bullying.

Hairstyles should be pretty low on the agenda!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:413599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.