Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Harvesting body parts?

Quote: Organ procurement before an investigation <autopsy> has long been legal, provided the coroner agreed. The motivation was to increase the number of hearts, kidneys and other vital organs needed to extend the lives of Americans waiting for transplants. To raise those numbers, California and other states over the last decade passed laws requiring coroners and medical examiners to “cooperate” with the companies to “maximize” the number of organs and tissues taken for transplant. Procurement companies’ lobbyists helped to write the legislation and push it into law.

In a handful of states the laws go even further, giving the companies the power to force coroners to delay autopsies until they have harvested the body parts.

Although the companies have emphasized organ transplants, in far more cases nationwide they harvested skin, bone, fat, ligaments and other tissues that are generally not used for life-threatening conditions. Those body parts fuel a booming industrial biotech market in which a half-teaspoon of ground-up human skin is priced at $434. That product is one of those used in cosmetic surgery to plump lips and posteriors, fill cellulite dimples and enhance penises. A single body can supply raw materials for products that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars."

MarkiusMahamius 7 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fine with me. I am pretty sure I really won't care what they do with my body once I die.

Ohferpetessake, no organ is harvestable if the person has been deceased longer than 40 minutes or so, ideally less than 20 minutes. Urban rumors like this one are doing immense harm!

The article is about parts, not functional organs, also it is the LA times, do you think this is made up?

@MarkiusMahamius ummmm, what? Do you think a dead decaying "part" should be put into any person?
One of my relatives transports organs, (volunteer!) he is on a strict timetable to get them places, direct from the deceased and the surgical team that removes them in a sterile operating theater, to waiting surgical teams in another operating room.. No organ ever can, or comes, from a coroner or morgue, but as far as fat, skin, etc the preferred donor is the recipient, otherwise very expensive heavy-duty drug regimes to prevent rejection need to be used, just as if you got a donor organ......unless the stuff has been sterilized like dental cadaver tooth implants are.. This entire article defies common sense!

@AnneWimsey you should read the article. Then youd have a little real info. If you actually did, your comprehension is low. But you do you. My only concern is when other people listen to you. We're safe here.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:414069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.