Agnostic.com

15 3

If you were from another country what would your opinion of the US be?

Would you choose to live here?

atheist 8 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Wild West!

I am from another country, currently living in thr US for grad school. There are some amazing and bright people around here, yet the society in general seems not exactly fitting my taste. People in the US seem to be Ok with things I am not Ok with, and not being Ok with things I have ever taken for granted.
My place to live is an European type of society (have experienced two other countries long-term, beside my own), perhaps with some minor east-Asian infractions.

Kind of, yet I think it goes beyond that.
Considering the fact that I am well engaged in public policy matters for more than a decade, having experience on different levels, fields, and
countries and that my studies here are also closely related to public affairs, it goes well beyond the simple definition of "culture shock".

I a, from another country; I lived there 29 years and I am going into my 38th year in USA. I guess this answer your question.

@atheis Your joke is quite out of line.

I am and no I wouldn't want to live there. it's as a nation very greedy and self-important ie the American dream.

it does seem that way especially with that fucking twat Trump at the helm.

Its a very violent country and the president sucks!

@atheist Ha! I would have been fired! I don't know how these newscasters keep from going off and calling / cussing on the air.

@atheist That would be fantastic!

I tend to agree with Henry Miller in his following quote from his great novel, 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare':
"Living in America is like living with children, but vicious children."

That would depend entirely on the cultural context in which the person had lived.

I am from another country and my opinion of the US is much the same as my opinion of most other countries (including my own): great people, shit government.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

Australia. I look on in horror as the US trys to burn the democracy it was at such pains to build. Not only because it's likely to take all democracy with it, but also because it achieved so much as a society but then began to believe the propaganda of exceptionalism.

@atheist I'm hoping that there's still enough upright folk in the various parts of the American system to slow it up. But the kindling was ignited back in Goldwater's day.

I am from Canada and my opinion of the USA is a bit of a mixed bag.
Mostly it's posotive. I've met some very awesome American and have typically had a great time when visiting. (The places I've been have been not much different from Canada).
I do, however, worry about the current (and past) turmoil and leadership.

I guess it would depend on what country. If I lived in an advanced country, like one of the Nordic nations, I'd think the US was pretty backwards, espeically for a developed nation. Hell, I think I already feel that way, just to a lesser extent since I have to live here and tolerate it. I am partially Swede. Maybe it's time to rejoin the land of my ancestors. Hej då!

I would think it’s a joke. And that all would depend on what country I was from. But probably not under a trump administration and Republican controlled house and senate

Probably not much different than the one I already have.

I would think that this country was the Wild Wild West!

I am from Russia and my opinion is positive.

Jagga Level 4 Mar 22, 2018

Well it would be, wouldn't it - if you compare it to Russia!

@GoldenDoll It depends, but yes, if we have come to comparisons. Would you like to add insult to injury? 🙂 I love my country, but it is going the whole wrong way. I cannot say anything positive about Putin and his politics though. I am in minority there right now and that drives me sick, tired, and hopeless.

@atheist I could not care less about his opinion.

@Jagga I was married to a Russian for 13 years, so I'm sympathetic.

@GoldenDoll Alas, but now you sound to me like: "I have a lot of fucking faggots among my friends, hence, I am not homophobic; or there are a lot of niggers among my friends, so I am not racist". 🙂 All I am asking for is to differentiate between country and regime; at least when it comes to my poor country. I really do like and value British sarcasm, not in this case though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41493
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.