Agnostic.com

12 16

Flood of hikers from Seattle on Eastern WA trails. I did something evil.

Last Tuesday with four women, I did a steep hike to Teanaway Ridge, gaining 2,000 feet elevation over 7.8 miles total.

Seattleites have discovered this trail. We were disappointed to see 15-20 hikers. Must have been Seattle hiking Meet-Up groups spreading trail information on the Internet. In April 2018, we had the trail to ourselves.

"Do you women always hike on Tuesdays?" a woman asked. "Yes, we all live in Wenatchee or Leavenworth," I replied. "We hike to spectacular views. Often we're the only ones on the trail."

"What are your favorite hikes?" she asked eagerly. "I'm not going to tell you!" I replied and laughed. I had an evil thought.

"Rock Mountain has fantastic mountain views," I said, knowing her car will get scratched all to hell. Relenting, I also told her about Sauer's Mountain and Minotaur Lake.

If she has any sense, she will read WA Trails Assn. trail reports online before going.

Teanaway Ridge was so crowded with Seattleites, we scrambled up to another ridge to eat lunch in peace.

Photos:

1. The Enchantments from Sauer's Mountain.

2. Minotaur Lake from Labyrinth Mountain.

3. Climbing Rock Mountain. Never again. Karen's truck was badly scratched by overgrown trees and bushes on the logging road leading to the trailhead.

4. View from Teanaway Ridge last Tuesday.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Queen of The Castle will Always Defend Her Castle with Ruse, Brain, Heart, Nails and Teeth. I Salute You.

If is Your Trail... Protect Any Way You Can.

This is what I was talking about - there is a discriminatory tone to your statements about the Seattleites.

@Shawno1972

This is what I'm talking about. Trash left in the Lake Colchuck trailhead bathroom. People even pooped on the ground surrounding the bathroom. Despicable.

I have hiked to Lake Colchuck since 1984. It never was like this before.

For 20 years, Lake Colchuck has been popularized by the Seattle Times as "The Best Day Hike in Washington State." Seattleites flooded the trail.

I refuse to hike to Lake Colchuck anymore. It used to be a spiritual place for me. Sadly, Lake Colchuck has been ruined by crowds of people.

@LiterateHiker Yes, it's clear you have a bone to pick with Seattleites. Justified? I don't know. It's rather beside the point. I'm just wondering if you realize how it looks to the rest of us reading your words. Apparently I'm not the only one who noticed.

@Shawno1972

You are the only person to act upset about my wanting to protect fragile alpine terrain from being destroyed by hordes of people.

While hiking, I pick up and carry out litter.

@LiterateHiker Now, now, let's please not straw man my point. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to "protect fragile alpine terrain." I was clear on what I found disagreeable.

I don't think I'd use the word "upset" to describe how I'm acting, either. Annoyed, maybe. 😀

That's not evil, just naughty.

That was one thing that was frustrating for us about WA.

I grew up on the edge of the Navajo reservation in northern AZ and was used to being able to drive 30 miles and be confident that there weren't any people around for 10 or 15 miles or so.

In WA there were always people. One time in the 80s a bunch of us climbed to the Necklace Valley -- 2500 ft gain in the last 3 miles.
And we met 22 hikers over the weekend including one group of 4 in a canvas tent drinking wine from bottles -- we didn't ask if they hired a helicopter to get up there, ha,ha, wow😯.

WA is/was a great place but the outdoors gets/got far too much use for me. 😎

@RichCC

I love Necklace Valley! Backpacked to Necklace Valley at age 30. And on my 60th birthday to mark and celebrate 40 years of passionate hiking.

"That's a really steep hike," my ex-husband said when I told him where I was going. All I remembered was how beautiful Necklace Valley was.

@LiterateHiker Thanks muchly for these pictures too. 😍

The only trouble we had was that one of the guys I worked with brought his two jr high sons and they wore out early. We cached part of their packs and carried most of their stuff up the trail. Lol😊
It was my 1st real NW walk and I was terrified that I didn't have enough water. It wasn't 'til we got up there that I was convinced that I could treat and use what was there rather than having to carry it all in. Ha, ha 😊.
Ah, memories.

As an urban dweller who likes to backpack, myself and others have been on the receiving end of contempt from people who thought we didn’t belong on public lands they thought their own. The scariest was when a group of six of us went to the White Mountains Wilderness in New Mexico for a long weekend of backpacking. Not too far from the trailhead we came across three men on horseback and armed with cowboy style pistols and and holsters. We were told we were not wanted there. We cautiously moved on. We did not see them again. Share the trail.

My friend has just moved back to the area and we are going to attempt the local Bibbulmun Track (named by the local indigenous tribe ..the Noongar's) that starts locally and winds for hundreds of miles to the south of here. I will be sure to take some pics when we head on out. They won't be as beautiful as Teanaway but certainly beautiful in their own right. 🙂

Sure is beautiful. I lived in Seattle in my early 20s, if it wasn't so far from Florida, I would move back.

djs64 Level 7 Oct 17, 2019

I used to love hiking in Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana when I lived in Spokane. Much farther east than you are, and a lot less populated.

Gorgeous pictures as usual, however karma will now come and get you girl.

Naughty girl lol

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 17, 2019

Naughty,Maybe if enough go to Rock mountain they will get the trail opened up lol..Fantastic views as usual ,Enjoy your outdoors

@RoyMillar

The long, gravel logging road to the trailhead is the problem. Crisscrossing, overgrown bushes and trees narrowed the road, scratching Karen's SUV badly.

Her SUV's sides, hood and roof were heavily scratched and gouged.

To bad something could be done to open it up. At least get the brush cut out of the way

@RoyMillar

That's not going to happen. The Forest Service lost funding under Republican presidents over the last 50 years.

Bummer. Maybe under the Demos something may change

@LiterateHiker #FuckTheGOP

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:415265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.