Agnostic.com

14 2

Say that some mysterious virus is set off. You happen to be one with the genetic code that is immune to the virus, 90% of the earth population is dying or dead. What would your job be?

azzow2 9 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After burying the dead, I'd move into Maro Lago and start an orphanage in one wing and a shelter for surviving pets in another.

90% dead/dying. Our society would crumble. Trying to survive would be my main concern.

Burying the dead?

First of all , if only 10% of the populatioin remains , anyone who can create an immune based medical solution , is also a member of the immune community , so that would be redundant . I think , keeping in mind the problems that occurred during the plague years , and today's technology , and my skills , I would locate some major earth moving equipment , dig a huge hole , collect corpses and bury them , to prevent other major diseases from spreading on top of the original problem . Next , since that will become a very fertile area , I'd spread a lot of whatever remains in the fresh foods section of the local grocery stores - fruits , vegetables , nuts over that surface , with dirt . Then whatever plants and seeds are available from local department and hardware stores over that surface along with alternating layers of potting soil and top soil . then water it down . I could paint a sign . and call it the Garden of Eatin' .

A lot of fruits and vegetables need special care, if they were irradiated they're not fertile. You're just creating compost.

As for the bodies, better wait before putting a garden on top. Read up on decomp processes.

@TaraMarshall It was a virus , not radiation sickness . Compost is good . Bodies , were buried deeply , under lots of dirt , then stuff to compost naturally , then lots , more dirt , then seeds and plants , more dirt , then water .

@Cast1es, they'll still outgas while decomping.

I’m a jack of all trades I can build and work on almost anything so I guess I will be busy just trying to keep everything thing running

Getting the next crop in. I wouldn't exactly call my family preppers, but between us we've got a lot of land, all in one valley, and a lot of stuff put by.

For a while, everyone's job would be gravedigger.

That is a lot of digging, thinking burning would be more effective.

I'd be the guy who raids a military base and has an M1 parked in his drive.
Purely defensive measures for the community ya know.

Medic, I suppose.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

Grave digger

Raising orphans.

I work with children and they love me.

Cleaning out my new mansion prior to moving in, finding my new boat and car. Then scavenging and stockpiling everything particularly fuel. It will be a long time before we can make many things again. While that is happening I will be securing communication channels, most likely radio and wireless digital. See what satelites are still functioning and accessing them, will take a lot of work to find the few people that can enable access to this stuff. I have some good hackers, but hackers are dangerous when there is noone to fix mistakes. The numbers do not overly concern me, still twice as many people left as I feel comfortable with.

Bury, burn the dead before I catch some disease from rats , insects, etc feasting on rotting corpses. At least in my immediate vacinity.

Considering that I am a mechanical engineer and urban planner by education - most probably I will be working on rebuilding and reestablishing Civilization in the aftermath. 10% survivors leaves us with ~ 700 000 000 people, probably in distress, thus I will not be lacking employment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41657
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.