Agnostic.com

3 4

Here is a rather interesting religious twist

I recently began daily practice as a secular hindu. It's a set of thoughts collectively known as advaita vedanta. I believe in their views of reality within the confines of physical science and biology etc... .

Anyway - there is a daily routine of things that you do as a good hindu. These involve meditation, doing good deeds, and becoming involved in devotion to some being or person you admire. The point to it is it focuses you on the traits you admire in that person or being or whatever you choose. You hafta pick some object of your accolades. It's a karma yoga thing.

Normally a hindu child or teen would pick one of the many available legendary Indian heroes of epics past from the Mahabharata or the Ramayana. But from what I see you don't have to pick a hindu figure. So I was thinking about picking Jesus.

Now I wouldn't be showering devotion upon Jehovah or the Holy Goat. It would be the best, ideal embodiment of Jesus from the mythos of yore. This way I could more easily find fellow worshipers around me here in the barrio of sw OKC and I could use the hospitality of their churches without having to buckle down to their beliefs. I'm just there to praise Jesus!

I haven't finalized this yet. I could still pick Vishnu or Buddha (his 9th avatar) or Hammer. But it might be kinda cool to pick Jesus. "I'm Back!!!" I wonder if they'll let me in?

JeffMesser 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that is a great idea. Good luck.

Just watch out for the indoctrination because, depending on the sect, they might try to get you involved in the praxis which could be tedious to unscrew yourself from.

There are varying interpretations of the carpenter of Nazareth in Hinduism, some seeing him as an historical figure embodying the missionary spirit, others seeing him as a yogi (see a Hindu view of Christ (Branden Books, 1949) by Swami Akhilananda) Yet others such as Gandhi and Radhakrishnan looked at Christ seeing him as an avatar of divine origin.
So basically you should have no real problems if you wish to do this with the Hindus if not the Christians.

Personally if I were still practicing hero worship and following fictional role models I would probably chose Sherlock Holmes

I can understand your skeptical motivation and jaded comments, but there exists a much less ego-driven reason to select Jesus. One of the unique features of christianity over eastern religious thought is its' emphasis on forgiveness. There exists little in primary vedic scripture on forgiveness unless you carry out reasoning from the story of the katha upanishad. It really doesn't exist until the Bhagavad Gita (an itihasa source) and later puranas. Love and forgiveness are divine qualities that merit support even from a karma-driven universe perspective. As the Hymn of Forgiveness in the Mahabharata states:

"Forgiveness is virtue; forgiveness is sacrifice, forgiveness is the Vedas, forgiveness is the Shruti [revealed scripture]. He that knoweth this is capable of forgiving everything~ Forgiveness is Brahma [God]; forgiveness is truth;, forgiveness is stored ascetic merit; forgiveness protecteth the ascetic merit of the future; forgiveness is asceticism; forgiveness is holiness; and by forgiveness is it that the universe is held together."

[digitalcommons.butler.edu]

If you are going to pick a fictional hero, why not go for Whinny the Pooh's Eeyore, a much wiser and far more realistic persona. With a really good take on stoic philosophy.

Have you read
The Tao of Pooh & The Te of Piglet
by Benjamin Hoff

@LenHazell53 No, thanks for the tip.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:417195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.