Agnostic.com

8 9

Today's hike: Frozen alpine lakes. Golden Larches.

Today Karen and I hiked to alpine lakes near Mission Ridge Ski Area, WA. Clara and Marion Lakes.

"I'm loving these micro-spikes," Karen said. We put them on when the steep trail turned into hard ice and snow. Very slippery.

A woman carrying a six-month-old baby came up the trail wearing tennis shoes. "Do you have micro-spikes?" we asked. No. We were worried she would slip and fall with the baby, especially going downhill on the steep ice.

"She will learn," Karen said. "You can't tell young mothers anything." Her daughter with a baby resists her advice.

Northern Larch are gold for one week in October. We made the most of it by hiking yesterday and today. Gold Larch needles were scattered across white snow. A beautiful golden path.

At the highest lake, we relaxed in the sun eating lunch. Bored with my sandwich, I tossed pieces of whole wheat/oatmeal bread to a busy chipmunk. "Is that your homemade bread?" Karen asked, shocked. Yup.

Today we hiked five miles with 1,236 feet of elevation gain. Yesterday was 6.2 miles with 3,000 feet of elevation gain. I need a rest.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

beautiul early winter scenes

I hadn't remembered that larches were deciduous. Thanks for getting me to look them up. Those are beautiful photos.

I tend to avoid hiking in snow. Air temps have to be above 40 for me to enjoy a hike. Any colder and the wind chill can easily be below freezing.

Still it's very pretty to look at.

Beautiful pictures Kathleen...it sounds a bit too energetic for me, but I know the rewards were worth your effort.

SO beautiful! Are micro-spikes like yaktrax or crampons?

@tinkercreek

YakTrax are crap. Step onto a linoleum floor to take them off and BAM! ... You're on your butt.

Here are my beloved Lowa hiking boots with micro-spikes. I made the Velcro straps to hold them on in snow. They are great for ice, snow and even rocks (hard on the points). You can sharpen the points.

Crampons have bigger spikes. They are for climbing glaciers. All-metal, crampons are HEAVY. I much prefer lightweight micro-spikes.

Due to global warming, Eastern WA had more freezing rain than snow in 2018. We used micro-spikes instead of snowshoes while hiking. Excellent traction.

@tinkercreek

Also, YakTrax don't give good traction on snow and ice. You need the points to dig in, especially on steep trails or sidewalks.

@LiterateHiker Ah, great idea with the velcro strap! I used crampons to climb Mt. Hood (long ago - before global warming!), and my kids got me yaktrax a couple years ago as I am always out and about walking. I live in a very level neighborhood, so they were fantastic for walking streets/sidewalks in that icy, snowy winter, but I will bear in mind your advice against using them on inclines. Thanks!

Nice pics.

Very beautiful and peaceful

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 24, 2019

so beautiful 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:417528
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.