Agnostic.com

10 4

The world seems like a dangerously divided place right now.

1. Is unifying the human family a desirable goal?
  2. Is it possible?
  3. By what mechanism or plan could it be done?
skado 9 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SAME AS IT EVER WAS:::Even though it is far less dangerous on the planet today in general, the individual perception of danger is directly proportional to one's exposure to too much reality, it is the SAME AS IT EVER WAS for most of the people on the planet.

Too many of those who have been privileged to have lived in the western democracies are now becoming aware of how it has always been.

I don't know when it hasn't been divided any time in recorded human history. Why would it change?

The world has been divided for centuries. We as a society, will never see eye to eye on everything so we must accept that fact. Why it seems more so now is because its constantly put in our face with technology every minute of every day if not from social media, then it's the plethora of news channels we can pick from. It is more noticeable because of these things.

The million refuges at the US Mexico border, and the million escaping Syria into Europe have caused cultural stress and adverse reactions to the refugees in destination countries. Climate Change will displace billions as sea level rises and floods coastal areas, including cities such as Miami, Venice, Bangkok, and Rio de Janeiro.

And it will get worse, far worse. Nature will take care of our overpopulation problem. An appropriate (or inappropriate) response for this group would be: so gird your loins.

@JackPedigo Yes, it will get far worse. Fortunately-unfortunately the auto and oil industries are in the process of being destroyed. That wages in the US have been minimized means fewer people can buy cars, and car sales have plummeted. Tesla has developed an autopilot; thus, making robotaxis practical, a technology that promises to reduce the cost of rides below the cost of car ownership. About 10% the number of vehicles used as robotaxis can provide all rides that are now done by privately owned cars. It will happen quickly, perhaps over the next decade.

Which will cause more division and more wars.

@EdEarl And yet the stock market still keeps rising. It's constant rise is what keeps tRump and ilk afloat.

@JackPedigo Yes, unfortunately the Fed is printing a hundred billion extra a day to prop up the economy.

@EdEarl That bodes very ill for the planet. Another crash could be the end of our economy.

@JackPedigo I hope it's not the perfect storm.

@EdEarl Sooner or later it will come and if not the perfect storm it will be close. Our numbers have got to decrease one way or another.

Yes, no, not a clue..

What is keeping us hostile and divided is our ego-based, untrue thoughts about each other. The tendency to create mental false narratives must have had some survival value as we evolved but if we are going to live together in peace we need to examine those narratives. By shining the light of conscious awareness on them they will be seen to be false and they will melt away.

Pointing out untrue thoughts in other people probably won’t accomplish much. Each person has to police her own thoughts. She can then set an example.

“Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon.” —St. Francis of Assisi

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

—Martin Luther King, Jr.

no.... there are some elements in Humanity we should not be unified with in my opinion.

no....not really...... unlikely....... I don't see how.

decimate the overwhelming majority of the human population with the plague or something.

I think various separate goals, ideals, teams unifies different groups - pretty much the best we can hope for when everything is a competition or has more than one side. The groups then band together - wait, it's what we have right now! 🙂 Yes, IMHO unifying the species is a nice goal BUT boring. I would settle for total equality for all the variations of the human species.
I think it is possible.
Education, hate is learned. Interventions therapy might help. We have check ups to make sure babies are physically developing but little is really paid to the mental/emotional development. The extremes get noticed but the average persons mental health or thinking process is sort of ignored. Tribalism of course is a big factor and fear is mostly the emotion that bands the tribe together. Conquer your fears, the world's fear and FFS get government to stop ruling by fear!!

The only way to unify is to acknowledge and accept our differences

Have humans ever once been unified as a species? I know it's the classic utopian liberal goal but it seems rather shallow and uninteresting, not to mention unattainable.

I'd settle for learning to respect each other a little more and trying a lot harder not to commit atrocities.

MsAl Level 8 Oct 26, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:418359
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.