Agnostic.com

36 1

Do you believe that life is mostly about luck?

DarwinistOne 7 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Luck" is a label; a better word, imho, would be chance. You can also say that's a label, but it hasn't got a qualitative implication to it. Luck is typically either "good", or "bad," while chance is, essentially, neutral. And as I see it, when your talking about something that is random and not in one's immediate sphere of influence, I have to go with chance.

Million to one chance for sure but not sure its called luck.

I see it as chaos.

Fortune favours the prepared mind, "luck" does not exist.

I hate to say it, but... I think so.

I considered myself very lucky because otherwhise I would had been murdered over 30 years ago. That Lucky, I am still here... alive!

Do you find it hard to say that you don't believe in God. I always back down in Company and fudge it.

Yes

Luck is for most people comparable to the 'god of the gaps'. In absence of knowledge about how others came to their positions in life, 'luck' is often inserted as the accountable element. Notice how often luck is described in an ascending direction. Those who achieve things in life have so much deeper understanding about the relationship of workiing smart and the relationship beteween what some call luck and working one's arse off.

Many are obviously, born into financial independence, a fantastic set of genes, an intellect that soars, seductive talents, etc. I guess those thigs can be caled luck no matter how much or little they're improved and expanded.

Being born with congenital disorders or experiencing permanently damagiing tramas seem to be most closely related to luck. Fortunately, as luck relates to life at large, these are exceptions clearly out of the mainstream. Quanitatively, I'd give luck an unevenly occuring life score of about 20%.

I will take luck over skill any day. Yes, skill and practice are important, but nothing beats dumb luck.

No, it is mostly by chance...by circumstance(s). Life is far too random for there to be such a thing as luck.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.