Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK How to See Austin Bats at the Congress Avenue Bridge

Austin's Bat Bridge. I have seen this live before and it's fascinating to see thousands upon thousands of bats fly out beneath the bridge to feed on insects at night.

ballou 8 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cool 😎

Quite a sight.

Yes, it is.

I once stopped a bus in Nepal so I could photograph a tree which was "decorated" with hundreds of bats! Like PSMINTEX...I'm a big bat fan! Knowing this--my daughter ''adopted'' a bat for me at a rescue facility near her. One of the best gifts ever!

Great post, Balou!

These mammals are very fascinating. I was reading a story this morning about how the female bats are very social with each other and share the food they are able to find with the other females in their colony. The male bats are too busy fighting over territory with other male bats and they are excluded, which I found quite funny.

[popsci.com]

@balou Imagine little bat moms giving birth/suckling/tending infants UPSIDE DOWN? You made me realize that bat societies are almost identical to elephant societies....they live in large groups...but they're matriarchal. People always say elephants are ''social'' animals..and they are...if they're female. Males are good for ONE THING ONLY. After that--it's ''Bye, Charlie."

@LucyLoohoo It's much like that in the animal world. The males are hardly needed after the female is impregnated.

I’ve witnessed it many times, and it never gets old. They are fascinating and misunderstood creatures, not to mention essential to the ecosystem.

Cool! You know your bat stuff. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422236
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.