Agnostic.com

6 1

Preventing Sissy Boys

Has anyone been raised using the no touch, no cuddle method of preventing what used to be called sissy boys? The method came out in the early 50's and specifies that a boy should not be cuddled or touched to make him a real man.

Enchanter 6 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've given my dad hugs and kisses since I can remember. The man worked as a social worker (a stressful job even in a small town) for most of my life and put his love of painting on hold all that time to feed his family. Now, not being a parent, I cannot say there's one "right way" to parent, but I will say this: any jackass who wants to call me a "sissy boy" for loving one of my heroes will get a single finger response.

We did lots of touching - hits on the shoulders, wrestling, name calling the usual Texass family stuff. My mother did not hug me until I was 35, newly divorced and leaving the country. I was in shock. We had a great family and that's just the way it was. Now I live in a place where everybody hugs, (friends and strangers alike) and my closest friend, an Iraq war veteran, hugs me and I even get a pat on a lower cheek and sometimes, a kiss on an upper one.

Not my family thankfully

I’ve never heard of this...and quite frankly I’m horrified. All children need to feel and know that it’s okay to reach out and touch, cuddle and be shown love by our parents. I can’t think of anything so likely to screw up boys emotionally, it’s the worst possible thing to teach them, that they must stay detached and unable to feel human touch in order to grow into a real man. I think it could account for why so many men of a certain age are so emotionally stunted. It could also account for why men only associate touching with sex, another very unhealthy attitude. I’m really shocked if this was an actual strategy which was deliberately put into practice, and can’t understand how I haven’t heard of it before...does it have a name, and who was it who came up with the idea. I do presume it was inspired by the religious to try to prevent homosexuality, it sounds like something they would dream up.

I don't know what they called it. The idea did not come directly from religion. It came from a psychiatrist or psychologist who wrote a paper.

@Enchanter Sounds like bad science to me...and counter to human need of warmth and affection.

Different areas/families have different ways of showing affection. I don't think one way is always the right one.

@JackPedigo @Marionville this is very strict dogmatic belief in not touching or holding or showing affection to your infant, baby, or child. In my dads case it was more about "training" your child to be logical and rational and "strong", rather than emotional and "weak". It was some "parenting guru" of that time, who wrote a book/theory on it, but i can't find their name.

@Burner It sounds a recipe for causing serious mental health issues with repressed emotions.

@Marionville yup

@Burner Not everything is dogmatic. My mother was 17 when she got married and I came along 1 year later. She was living at home when she got married and didn't have a clue. People in those days and in Texass did not hug. There were touches but no real emotional expressions. It was no big deal. We had a great childhood (but very free range) and no one ever got mad at another (except my dad at christmass when my mom spent so much money on gifts. There was always a (civilized) argument and she always won).

@JackPedigo This kind of hands off , no touching upbringing, may not have harmed you in any way, but it definitely could have done so in other people who feel the need to express themselves or to have others express a more physical affection, such as hugging or embracing between parents and children. If this is repressed it can lead to feelings of rejection.

@Marionville I thought somewhere I did mention we touched (if hits on the shoulder or wrestling count). Simply speaking from my own experience. No one experience is universal. We had a great childhood and normal (whatever that means) parents that did care for their kids. Maybe the feeling of this was more mental than physical but it was there.

@Burner, @Enchanter, @Marionville In the 1980s while writing a book on growing one’s political power (assertiveness etc) I saw a reference to a book published ~1890 that said parents who touch their children make them dependent.
My ethnic German and authoritarian Catholic parents (~1905 to ~1975) didn’t need that book but their parents (born ~1875) might have seen it. In 1995 my four sibs and I (born between 1929 & 1945) met and remarked on the lack of touching when we were young. It’s as you say. Writing of the consequences requires more than a chapter in a memoir.

I’m familiar with the approach that tells men that the only acceptable kinds of touch for them are sexual and angry. It’s not healthy - one aspect of what is known as “toxic masculinity.”

That too is a problem but I'm addressing an area that may intersect with toxic masculinity but is different. I was brought up with constraints of not being touched or cuddled. Sexual touching and anger touching were not taught as acceptable but the pressure to "be a man" was always there.

@Enchanter so, I’m connecting the thought an article that postulated that men expect/demand sex because it is their only opportunity for human contact. That is, most forms of physical contact is verboten but it’s “okay” or even expected to want sex.

My dad was "parented" this way after he was born in 44. He was a very messed up person, emotionally. I hope you arent another victim.

Unfortunately, I am. It has contributed to making relationships impossible. I am curious as to how many of us were brought up that way and what impacts it has had on their lives.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:423086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.