Agnostic.com

3 1

How many lies was I taught in school?

I grew up in Brazil, at the start of educational decline. I was part of the last generation to have a subject on civility at least in public schools. But even then, there is so much incorrect information that was fed to us in and out of school. Sure, religion is a big one. But we were not taught Philosophy, and the little we learned was wrong. We learned everything backwards on communism, the nazi, liberalism and even democracy.

I ended up going to college and graduated on Computer Science, but even then all I know on the field, after 15 years, was not taught in college -- to the point that I define my job in a completely different field and work a lot better because of it.

I am not saying school was useless. I would not be able to do the things I do without what I learned at school. But I was fed truth and lie simultaneously and without me or anyone around having the right tools to tell them apart. And I don't see this getting any better. Raising two kids, now 8 and 2 years old, this concerns me a lot and I don't know how to fix it or even how many people realize the problem exists worldwide.

hlfsousa 6 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I visited Lisboa and Coimbra University back when I was in college but I thought Portugal was fairly lliberal. They were more polite and academically advanced, at least I thought.

Indeed. But I see some signs of warning. Like once at work people started a conversation on Skype about a social issue and I asked, "do I risk being fired for disagreeing or countering the established opinion?". That was met only with laughter, but no actual answer. So I kept quiet because I need to keep this job.

@hlfsousa if you can't reply anonymously, you will take the backlash, so not worth it.

And how do you assess the school system where you live in Portugal? Is it the same as the schools where you were raised. You can be the difference, you can explain and help your children separate out truth from fiction. Parents have an important role in helping their childer to learn how to differentiate fact from fiction, working with the coopertation of teachers.

cava Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

I have spent only 2 weeks there, as I am currently in France. I'll be able to better assess that in about a year.

Gather proof and put it on the internet. I am willing to take the proof you provide and make an awareness video on my youtube channel. You could then provide people with a link to the video and educate them on the subject.

I see what you mean, but proof of which claim exactly?

@hlfsousa proof should be gathered for all claims, but I was talking about your main claim of the schools teaching known lies.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.