Agnostic.com

18 5

Is the church of FSM an insult to atheism?

FSM or flying spaghetti monster, is a fun play on religion and was formed to show how ridiculous religous treatment is. Some people claim that if you are FSM, your not atheist. Whats your take?

BabyBlues420 5 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whats your take? --- I don't take, nor do I give, a shit what up-tight atheist think. Lighten up, have a little fun. 🙂 🙂 😟 🙂

Its just a joke really, you'd have to be pretty think skinned to take it in any other way imo.

It's just a fun little parody religion. I made my own, a bread-themed religion called crustianity. We (jokingly, of course) worship Yahwheat the giant magical bread dragon and his son, Grilled Cheesus Crust. His word is told through the Holy Ryeble, which is divided into the Old and New Tastyments. It's just stupid fun.

No ! It's not just stupid fun, *It's brilliant. Thanks for the laugh. 🙂 Grilled Cheesus Crust. Laughing my ass off. 🙂 🙂 🙂

It's a parody, satire and pretty funny really. I don't think anyone takes FSM seriously as it is not organized to take seriously. I think it is great. R'amen!

I think it's fun and hilarious and shows how silly religious credulity really is. Praise his Noodly Appendage!

I think satire is a great form of humor and to get a point across. I don't find FSM insulting. Some Pastafarians are really convincing with their belief in the FSM and it's a bit spooky though.

I don't have a problem with it. One of my friends is an Ordained Pastafarian.

I have stated many times o this tite that the only positive aspect to religion is to give people a sense of community and belonging. I think the Church of hte Flying Spaghetti Monster, the denomination known as the "Pastafarians", is a fun way for atheists to fidn the sense of community and belonging which is sorely absent in most of modern society outside of religion.

let's face it, even the Unitarians are often "too spiritually minded" for many atheists.

There is a part of me though that wonders if the Pastafarians aren't carrying things too far. They do incorporate rituals and prayers into their "spoof religion", and some will take it too far and argue with atheists about the actual existence of the FSM, as if the joke religion were actually a serious thing.

I think of "Scientology" as a joke religion, which got way out of hand. The primary difference being that L. Ron Hubbard created it, at first half as a joke, and then to actually use it to make money.

People claim stupid shit all the time and some things claimed are so stupid they don’t warrant consideration.

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Does it really matter?

What is FSM?

F S M is NOT athiest, it is agnostic in that all creation myths are treated equally.

It's an exercise in irony, used rather often by atheists to point out the faults in mainstream religions. It's the exact opposite of an insult to atheism.

I think the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the opposite of an insult. His noodly divinity is useful for atheists when dealing with people who insist there HAS to be a God (who always existed or appeared from nowhere) because the universe had to have a creator. It can't have always existed or appeared from nowhere.
If they insist there must be a God, you can ask them to prove it isn't noodly divinity.

PS - I think everyone who is a member of the Church of FSM is actually an atheist.

Allan Level 5 Nov 19, 2017

A mock religion is a mock religion is a mock religion. No insult meant to anyone, except to make the point that all religion is silly. It's the intent of any kind of satire. Those that take it seriously need to be pitied. Like some I know who take Dudeism seriously. It's a mock religion people... take a pill.

It's satire, taken seriously enough to put legal pressure on legislators to ensure equal treatment, often resulting in greater secularism in public policies. The practitioners are clearly not genuine in their supposed belief in FSM. I see no problem with this for atheists. It sounds like the "no true Scotsman" fallacy is getting some action from opponents.

If you believe in the FSM, you are not an atheist.

But, according to the church of FSM, you doth have to change your beliefs, or believe in FSM at all. Does that make a difference?

If you believe in the FSM, you are not an atheist. --- Of course you're not, You're a Pastafarian. Atheist are evil baby eaters. Pastafarianism is about devine noodleness. May the Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you gently in the folds of his divine noodly appendages. Ramen 🙂 😟 🙂

If you believe in anything that is not real, you are a theist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.