Agnostic.com

14 11

In partisan 2019, listing "moderate" can hurt you on dating sites

It’s almost a cliche at this point: If someone lists their political views as “moderate” on a dating app, the thinking goes, go ahead and assume the person is a conservative.

"The belief has caught on in the relatively liberal circles of Raleigh, North Carolina, too ― or at least the ones Michael D., a 31-year-old librarian, runs in.

“When I see someone who has listed ‘moderate’ or ‘centrist’ as their political leaning on a dating app, I just assume that they’re too embarrassed to put Republican or right-wing,” said Michael.

“How could anyone realistically be a moderate or centrist given the current state we’re in?”

In 2018, single young Trump staffers complained they couldn’t get a date in left-leaning D.C. In 2019, even moderates seem to face a tough crowd in the dating pool.

As a staunch liberal, when I run across a man with gun-toting hunting photos, I assume he's a redneck: loud, obnoxious, bigoted and shallow.

In my experience, even ‘moderate’ guys tend to have extremely different views on topics that matter to me, like gun control, women’s reproductive rights and immigration.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In some theoretical sense I suppose I am an independent in that I would vote for the best candidate regardless of party. The problem is that it's been literally decades since I would have given any serious consideration to a GOP candidate. They've been a veritable nest of vipers for too long. Sadly, probably half the Democrats are not much better.

By the standards of my youth, I'm actually quite the leftist. Sanders all the way!

"Moderate" = "I am really ok with the status quo."

I’d like to see a day where there’s room for moderate political positions, but that’s not now. Moderate says to me that maybe you’re not drinking the post-truth right-wing kool-aid, but that you don’t understand the danger it poses or don’t care. In 2019, we need to course correct. I hope that part of that involves shoring up electoral integrity and increasing things like ranked choice voting, but that will never happen unless we oust the party that cares only for its own power, and right now, that means supporting Democrats even if you don’t fully agree with them. Good people can feel constrained about their political support, just as good people can be stuck in a religion they don’t believe in, but for relationship building I agree that it’s a sign of factors that could be limiting.

I am a registered independent with very liberal views on the same issues you mention on your last paragraph plus the electoral college, equal pay, minimum wage, health care, climate change, etcetera and consider myself very patriotic, pro veterans and extremely anti trump.

Wow. Some serious judgemental, black-and-white thoughts here, in a place I would have hoped was a bit less harsh, or at least would entertain a little deeper analysis before declaring there's no such thing as a middle ground. IMHO, this seems to be a big part of what's wrong in politics today. The over-simplification of every topic or choice or issue into only 2 diametrically opposed options with no room for any other idea or voice or position. Seriously, life is almost never that cut and dried.

I am what I consider to be a moderate. I am registered independent. I examine the issue and determine how I feel about it for myself, not based upon which "party" deplores or espouses it. If that makes others think I am either a full-left liberal or a right-wing conservative in "hiding"...well then they are trying too hard to judge me without knowing me so I probably wouldn't want them as a date anyway. I would feel they were way too ready to jump to fast and easy conclusions based on their own biases and not a thorough examination of my feelings or experiences.

Sorry, still stating moderate on my profile because I feel it best describes my positions on a variety of issues.

I remember many years ago when I was in high school and we had some guys coming to give us a speech about different political parties. Well the conservatives said that yes they were conservative but that didn't mean that they did not care about the average person in the street. Wasn't that ever a lie.

Different political views is more likely to get you turned down than anything else.

The polarization in our politics between liberals and conservatives is ridiculous.

@Happy_Killbot

"If you are a Trump supporter, hit the back button NOW," I wrote in my profile.

@LiterateHiker So... are you a liberal or an anti conservative? It seems to me that there are no more liberals and conservatives, only anti-conservatives and anti liberals.

That's a problem.

@Happy_Killbot

Since my teens, I have been a staunch Democrat, environmentalist, feminist and peace activist.

@LiterateHiker That really doesn't answer the question at all.

At any point in time have you agreed with any policy or recommendation proposed or implemented from the republican party?

The majority of presidents have been a lot closer to centrist for the day and age they were elected in than I think a lot of people let on.

But when the divide looks like this, how can we ever say that we actually stand for the beliefs of that party, and not just what the party tells you to believe?
[people-press.org]

@Happy_Killbot

Since age 18, I have been fighting against Republican policies and anti-war. Does that answer your question?

I'm a Democrat and anti-Republican.

@LiterateHiker For the most part I think it does.

If you can remember back that far, do you know how you felt about a basic income around the time you were first able to vote?

@Happy_Killbot

I wasn't aware of a guaranteed basic income proposal at that time.

@LiterateHiker I wouldn't click on this link if you want to maintain your sanity.

[basicincome.org]

All I can say is, you couldn't be more wrong.

@Happy_Killbot

Stop hounding and criticizing me. Insulting members is against community guidelines.

We can agree to disagree.

@LiterateHiker I'm not criticizing you, just your ideas and assumptions.

In particular, the assumption that "moderate" means someone is a conservative if you are a liberal or liberal if you are a conservative.

I am also adamantly opposed to the widespread but subtle that the party trumps the policies, instead of the policies being what matters.

We don't have to agree, but the way I see it, every mind I change is another fire put out, and one step close to restoring some semblance of order and sanity in our politics, both on the individual and national scale.

Wow. Assumptions abound.

Sometimes, someone who says they're a "moderate" or a "centrist", actually IS.

Granted, there is a whole lot of lying happening on dating sites.

Seems to me people need to make a decision.
Either they want to get laid, in which case, they should say so.
Or, they are honest about their politics, and take responsibility for their positions.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who lies about who they are.
They don't deserve to get a date, or laid.

It’s interesting that here in the Midwest, on the edge of the Bible Belt, I find most women choose “Moderate” to hide their liberal bent, lest they scare off the majority of men who trend Conservative.

I don't understand. Why would a liberal woman want anything to do with a trumper? Let's be honest here. The majority of midwest men who identify as Republican are pro trump. How sad that they would compromise.

@Barbarabkind Maybe you can tell me. I only know what my experiences have been.

@Bobbyzen As expressed, I don't get it. It disappoints me. I didnt mean to doubt your experiance. Sadly, maybe these women are willing to settle for companionship.

@Barbarabkind Oh, I didn’t think you were doubting me. I was interested in your opinion. I think you might be correct, sadly as you say.

My listing for both political and religious is always OTHER.

As you (not you, but anyone you) can see from my conversations is that I do not believe in either.

I always vote but I do not espouse politics.

In my experience, "moderate" has often translated to "I'm conservative but don't want to admit it" or "I don't really have an opinion". Not always but mostly.

Maybe you guys do need a Moderate party as a 3rd party to help put balance in the political system ,In that way you could end up with a minority government that needs the support of one of the other parties and i beleive a lot more good things would get done ,2 party system is bullshit and un productive and open to too much abuse in many ways

Totally agree!

You are spot-on. When I see moderate, they are either conservative (at least too much for me) or wishy-washy, not willing to take a stand. Nope......

This was interesting. I am a progressive liberal and was married to a hard core conservative for 22 years. I can tell you straight up, it does not work! Your basic values are so far apart it makes life incredibly difficult. Too much compromise about everything is draining. Moderate does not strike me as a great category. There needs to be a way to flesh out what people really think. I suppose that is what happens when you meet in person. 🙂

@Sealybobo I can not imagine what they are like at home. It must be crazy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:425436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.