Agnostic.com

5 9

Tiny deer-like species spotted for the first time in 30 years

A tiny deer-like species not seen by scientists for nearly 30 years has been photographed in a forest in southern Vietnam, a conservation group said Tuesday.

Images of the silver-backed chevrotain, commonly called the Vietnamese mouse deer, were captured in the wild by trap cameras, Global Wildlife Conservation said.

It said the rabbit-sized animal is not a deer or a mouse, despite its nickname, but is the world's smallest hoofed mammal.

They are shy and solitary, have two tiny fangs, appear to walk on the tips of their hooves, and have a silver sheen, the group said.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good it is nice to know that it survived and that people are making a gesture towards helping it. Especially since humans bombed its homeland to shreds only a few decades ago, in one of their political fall outs, amazing it survived that at all, given that it was already rare.

@Fernapple

My thoughts exactly.

Very cool

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 12, 2019

It looks like a rat... If I saw it, I'd scream...

beautiful creature,,hopefully they can be left alone to multiply

I’ve think they’ve mis-identified a Chupacabra - perhaps they’re calling it a “mouse deer” to avoid panic in the general public?
😉

@Sealybobo She?

@starwatcher-al Has big cold feet, women have big cold feet, (Never shared a bed with one ? ) therefore bigfoot is a woman. Perfect logic according to my religious friends.

@Sealybobo Only female humans have boobs when not feeding infants. And the fur is very thick, because its cold where they live and blue nipples would make them easy for the unicorns to spot.

@Sealybobo You will have to catch one to be sure. Maybe that is why they are rarely seen, people are using the wrong bait. You need a healthy well endowed male running naked through the woods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:425674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.