Agnostic.com

8 2

Is requiring children to adopt the families religion or politics a form of abuse?

I always encourage my children to think for themselves and they always asked for my reason which convinced them to adopt my atheism and politics. I feel that should be the way all families should work but realise that is just deaming. how do you feel about this approach?

Marine 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely !!

It is good for people to experience religion for a point of reference, but children are forced to it and it is the primary way religion perpetuates itself. Applying religious propaganda to children and rewarding suspension of disbelief (Santa Claus, EasterBunny) in relgious context is kind of messed up,

jeffy Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I don't believe that teaching children religion is automatically abusive. I believe it can be, in some circumstances. When you're shunning, disowning or beating your gay kid, or sending them for conversion therapy because of your religious beliefs, then you've crossed the line into child abuse.

Parents still have a right to influence their children's beliefs (political or religious) to reflect their own. I don't believe in a nanny state, taking that right away from them. I do believe in an education system that provides balance and counterpoint, and encourages freedom of thought.

Being forced / required -- yes, tis bad --- explaining and selling the basics (even w/ a bias) of a belief system -- not so bad, but still marginally bad --- openly discussing the pros/cons and why one believes - OK -- but I'd bet that nearly never happens

Richard Dawkins says, and I agree, that teaching a minor any religion is a form of child abuse.

Of course, its grooming

Being forced into a religion is abuse.

Being forced into a political party is abuse.

Being forced to believe x is abuse.

Not IMHO.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42586
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.