Agnostic.com

8 1

LINK Dating disasters: why bad grammar could stop you finding love online | News | The Guardian

Does it matter? Inquiring minds want to know!

IAJO163 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm an admitted sapiophile. Good writing is an upfront turn-on !

Good give away on education and character

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 20, 2019

Yes, it matters. Bad grammar is equated with lack of education, intelligence, and upbringing, or at the very least, a regrettable lack of interest in those things and in one's self. I taught my sons good grammar and good manners because I understood that the lack of those things would close doors for them, both in careers and courtships.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 20, 2019

My spelling and grammar are impeccable. I have seen no evidence that women give a shit about it.

They most certainly care if those things are Not good!!!! Definitely signs of a scammer, for one, sloppy & disrespectful if not a scammer.......bleh!

We definitely notice when it's not. Don't underestimate the good impression caused by attention to grammar. It matters.

@BitFlipper

It's crucial to me. Poor grammar shows lack of attention to detail, ignorance, poor education and/or laziness.

With spelling and grammar check on websites and Microsoft Word, there's no excuse for it.

Women in your generation seem to care a lot about it... soo keep it up! 😉 😛

My generation are masters of text speak/tlk and we love our abbreviations and slang words.... I don't think poor grammar indicates ignorance or being uneducated, though it may signify our laziness. heh
I would gauge a guy's intelligence based on our conversations and how he responded to topics I introduced... I was able to weed out simple-minded guys this way and find intelligent guys, despite their online poor grammar. 😉

It's crucial to me. I want an intelligent man with a great sense of humor.

Poor grammar shows lack of attention to detail, ignorance, poor education and/or laziness.

With spelling and grammar check on websites and Microsoft Word, there's no excuse for it.

“...there’s no excuse for it.” lol. Sorry, I couldn’t help myself ☺️

@Bobbyzen

Sorry, it was a typo. Thanks for the correction.

@LiterateHiker I am a former book and magazine editor. But when it comes to texting I’m all thumbs (literally, rather two thumbs) and make many mistakes. I was just playing with you!

I can't count the number of times I've heard this: "I love you long time good"

Not sure I would call it bad grammar or not.

It's on the edge of being discriminating.

@IAJO163

People with lousy grammar are not a protected group under the Civil Rights Act.

@LiterateHiker You're not saying they should be, are you? Could there be a Gov't pass that justifies it?

@IAJO163

Of course not. It is an asinine idea.

The following characteristics are "protected" by United States federal anti-discrimination law:

Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964
Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964
National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964
Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission interprets 'sex' to include discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

Pregnancy – Pregnancy Discrimination Act
Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Prohibits discrimination for having children, with an exception for senior housing. Also prohibits making a preference for those with children.
Disability status – Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
Genetic information – Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act.

To bad the study was so limited in scope, although age demographics would be particularly interesting/relevant.

1of5 Level 8 Nov 19, 2019

definitely... I would guess older generations (Gen X'ers and Boomers) care about proper grammar waaay more than millenials and Gen Z. 🙂

@demifeministgal Yes we do and one day the next gen will peeve you with something that will make you want to hold onto the past. 😉

@IAJO163 It was not a dig at you and older generations it was just expanding on 1of5's point that research that controls for age variables would be interesting. 🙂 LOL you assume that Gen Z'ers are not already annoying me 😉 😛

@demifeministgal I just know that they ARE annoying me! LOL!!! 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:428674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.