Agnostic.com

3 2

QUESTION The Problem of Prolonging Life - The Atlantic

When fragmented families collided with a fragmented medical system, the results could be disastrous.

GeorgeRocheleau 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am 91 years old. I had a pacemaker installed almost 12 ywars ago, and unlike the case cited, that pacemaker has enabled me to stay active -- taking care of my yeard, gardening, working out regularly with heavy weights. The comination of the pacemaker and the workout regimen has actually strengthend my heart so muchy that my heart function is well agove average.

Still, I do not want any procedure or device which may prolong my life, but leave me with a life without quality. I will NOT authorize or accept any such procedure or device. I will ask the tough questions and demand straight answers. It is I who has the choice -- and NO ONE else. I also have a living will.

I empathiize with the family, but their cvase will not be the same as mine.

I have paperwork on file specifying which measures to take and what damage I don't want to live with. Unfortunately, I know my believing mother won't let me go if anyone contacts her.

The tale is a cautionary one but there are legal steps to avoid or mitigate such events. DO NOT RESUSCITATE ORDERS, LIVING WILLS that state exactly what the person wants or doesnt want, POWER OF ATTORNEY provisions etc. Be prepared at all times is my advice to my patients.

I believe life is grand at all stages. I don't believe in suffering, but due to this countrys proclivity for litigation health care professionals must abide by laws that are presented to them. Patients must be savvy and prepared for life changing events.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.