Agnostic.com

13 4

How to meet an atheist in a highly religious area?

Trying to meet a single atheist woman in Texas seems as impossible as finding god.... What has worked for any of you to meet an atheist in a highly religious area ?

Geek 3 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A few ideas: college campuses (nearby businesses), book stores, liberal political gatherings. I had luck on meetup.com. Also, our local UU "church" as well as a nearby unprogrammed (important detail) Quaker meeting contain nontheists.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

I actually found out about a local freethinker group when I attended an event for LGBTQ community and support. They had a booth there. I was shocked. This is a very conservative, religious area. Turns out they were on Facebook and got more and more involved. I would say check meetup and facebook. There are websites that also help find atheist/freethinker groups.

I agree with Spinler. Now, try adding the fact that most female atheists are SJWs.... sigh

same issue here in KY

Hello ChevalMugs! We're practically neighbors. I used to live in Lexington. Now I'm in Richmond. Drop me a line if you like.

networking

Your going to need a Box, a stick, a piece of string, and a copy of Dawkins "The got delusion.

"Atheist Mingle" I think is what I joined. I met a really nice guy through it. My age. Turns out Id have liked him as a friend more than anything intimate. But that isnt what he was looking for, so that didnt work. But it is a online dating service for atheists.

I looked on Facebook for atheist or free thought groups. I also checked meetup.com for the same kinds of groups. Found them in both places as well as a general google search where I found several interesting websites like this one.

Oh, and I live in a city of 250,000 people whose nickname is "the city of churches"--really!

I live on Salt Lake City. I'm a lesbian involved in the Pride Center. Lots of other atheists and agnostics there.

I think it's more prudent to consider how open-minded someone is, rather than limiting yourself to just atheists. I believe that "theists" can be good candidates also.

Try the places that religious people pretend they avoid..at least, your chances there will be greater. Is there a local Skeptics chapter in your area? Can you volunteer at a women's-rights or Democratic/Independent organization? Sun Tzu says, "know your enemy." At least you're not in Utah! Seriously, use your rationality to figure out where they are...because there are athiests everywhere.

If theism is a deal breaker for you, then you have your work cut out for yourself. I wouldn't even try. You fall in love with the person, you fall in love with. It sounds crazy but it's love and love is crazy. You shouldn't necessarily limit yourself in that way.

Nothing has worked for me thus far. Most of the folks that I find who might agree are either 40 years my Jr. or gay....
Waiting for answers also.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.