Agnostic.com

3 0

QUESTION International Dark-Sky Association | IDA | Light Pollution

Earth hour? We need more than an hour of sans artificial light

Mooolah 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's really just an insult when all the light polluters switch off their blazing torches for an hour only to turn them back on full blast for the rest of the year. It would be more to the point if they only turned the damn things on for one hour a year.

I've dabbled in amateur astronomy off and on since I was a kid. I grew up in rural Louisiana with dark skies (milky way easily visible, etc, and far enough south to catch Omega Centauri over the southern horizon, etc.). I've attended several Nebraska Star Parties which is held at Merrit Lake south of Valentine, Nebraska -- which has REALLY dark skies. People really really don't know what they are missing. I am hoping Nebraska doesn't screw up the dark skies we have.... Many places have started to become progressive in combating light pollution -- with more efficient/downward pointing street lamps, etc. I was a fan of globular clusters when I was active in astronomy.....

Ohub Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

The light domes of the Houston region are hard to get away from in the surrounding wildernesses, 4 or 5 on Bortle’s scale. West Texas is fantastic, though.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.