Agnostic.com

35 5

What harsh truths do you prefer to ignore?

Mea 7 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know I,m irresistible to women bug I have chosen to ignore it due to my modesty and good breeding .

@Donotbelieve I thank you and have chosen to make an exception in your case !!
You lucky girl !!! or should they be question marks ?

@Donotbelieve Ithink you realise that wasn't what I was questioning .

@Donotbelieve LMAO

@irascible I know I come from the UK . I was born and bred here .... A common expression .

How about you Mea?

@ReBrew2115, I often worry about the direction humanity is going as awhole--especially in concerns to the environment. We're destroying everything and I wonder how much more we can destroy before we cause a worldwide disaster and everyone faces the threats of starvation, disease, pollution, etc. And being a college kid, I stress out about money a lot because I'm paying for everything entirely by myself without student loans and a lot of the time I barley squeak by as far as paying for tuition, books, food, and housing goes.

@Mea Understandable. Those are all reasonable things to be afraid of. I would be if I were in the same position. I've always dealt with a fear of the end of the world but it didn't really get driven home for me until I saw "Interstellar" which depicted the outcome of severe climate change very accurately. It was disturbing to me and even more disturbing was the bleak outlook for life on the planet. But... I like to think that science will find a way. That people will change. And hopefully, it won't be too late.

That's one of my favorite movies!

@Mea I love Christopher Nolan in general, but I thought Interstellar was one of his best.

Well I don't exactly ignore this fact but I live my life as though I have it even though it isn't real. And by that I'm talking about free will. It doesn't truly exist but this fact doesn't hinder me from enjoying the fantasy of it.

Why don't you think it exists?

@Mea The Dilemma of Determinism demonstrates through logic that it isn't real. It narrows the possibilities to how we make choices down to two options: Determinism and Indeterminism. Determinism is the idea that our choices follow a causal relationship and that everything that has happened in our past and our environment informs us completely of what choices we make. In other words, your choices are 'determined' by something. As you can see, this option doesn't give you free will. So what about its opposite, Indeterminism? Now Indeterminism is the idea that our choices are completely random. Nothing determines your choices in this option. But that doesn't amount to free will either because it's as if you're rolling dice to make decisions. Randomness by its very nature defies any sort of control including our own. So there you have it. Your options are either Determinism or Indeterminism and neither give you free will. All the possibilities have been exhausted with these two options.

@MrControversy I enjoy playing devil's advocate so I've spent almost the last hour trying to think my way around those categories. I can't say that I expected to wakeup this morning and realize that I don't actually have free will, but that logic is sound. I do have a follow up question for you though, do you believe people's actions have meaning?

@Mea I guess I would follow up with this. There is a way of thinking about that makes it not seem so scary. I reckon that most people will still go about their lives as though they do have free will. So then it led me to ask the question 'why is free will do important to us?' and I realized that it's because it is a means to an end. It's how we get the things we want. Let's say that every decision we made led to an undesirable consequence. I doubt we would feel very free at all under those circumstances. So I thought maybe free will is more of an external thing. The more doors that are open to getting what we want, the more free we are in that sense. Also I realized that I can't judge folks that still believe in free will because they might not have the free will to believe in otherwise. We live as though we do have it. It's a kind of poetry. The only thing we have to adjust with all of this is the correctional system. Make it strictly about containment and rehabilitation rather than revenge. Because if there's no free will then ultimately nobody is responsible for their actions. We just can only keep them away from society for safety reasons and make an attempt to rehabilitate the prisoner if his crime is minor.

The truth that I hold myself back daily. Especially when I'm depressed. It makes it easy to come up with reasons not to do something. So the harsh truth of my life is that I would probably be far more successful and not in nearly as bad of shape if I'd stop holding myself back.

I'm sorry, that's no doubt a difficult situation to be in. Baby steps are always good, so the fact that you do recognize there is an issue can be very significant in finding help and making the changes in your life that you'd like to see.

@Mea Yes. I am definitely working hard on pushing past that hard truth. But I am my own worst enemy. A nemesis of myself, if you will. 😉

That the future has a place for people like me. We lower-middle-class are almost obsolete.

I'm pretty certain they will kill us off first

We probably actually NEED “the rich” here in the USA - they at least keep us free of being dominated by some Islamo rich KOOKS!

I’ll take the devil I DO know!

Why would I ignore them?

@LeighShelton, out of fear or comfort? I agree that ignoring anything for too long can cause problems, but always fretting over something, especially something you may not be able to control, can be draining.

I don't fret or worry about things I can't control as it only hurts me and helps nobody. it won't go away sticking your head in the sand either.

Define TRUTH? Truth is very subjective it may differ from another-there is no THE truth.
Ones 'truth' is based upon perception which is depending on two things;
The element of choice
Past Experiences.
Take for example 'The Maltese Cross' a warrior or a religious person may only see the cross itself, however a gardener or a creative thinker will not see the cross but the spaces between its arms and only see stylized rose petals.

The 'herd' also only see the cross
THe 'Outsider' sees the rose petals
Then again The Outsider sees too deep and thinks too much. Wilson, Colin The Outsider.

We shape our truths or REALITY with every thought and choice (also accepting the consequences of that choice) we take.

I'm interested in hearing individuals' truths. This question is in regards to the same. Your truth is the only aplicable truth you can answer for.

That Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber are stars. It is unequivocall proof our nation is in decline.

“Elvis” should have taught you this...

The negative side effects from the amount of weed I smoke. In the words of Sloan Sabbath I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. lol

At just turned 70 I get more tired than I used to be and I ignore it and push through and then find myself with aches and pains that spoil my evenings viewing time tryign to get comfortable ..doh I'll never learn!

We're all doomed.
On the bright side, once we die, that's it.

None I love truth and actively seek it it's my highest purpose.

The threat of nuclear annihilation!

That I have well passed my prime, I am on a downhill run.
I am not scared of death, but for now I will keep doing stuff.

That my pay from this month has little or no chance of stretching to the next one

Death and taxes.

Nomad Level 6 Mar 25, 2018

None!

I would like to ignore an isolating handicap combined with a relationship disorder.

Such a broad question. I haven't been able to ignore bigots and haters - they make me cringe. I try to ignore Trumpty Dumpty when he is speaking but eventually hear the stupid idea or thing he said on the next news program.

Life not having inherent meaning (Of course we find our own meaning). I'm still recovering from religious indoctrination so that truth is still hard to realize.

That ignorance is bliss in a world of delusional cosmologies.

Etre Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I am getting older and slower.

That death is probably closer than I like to think.

No one has any idea what LOST was about.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43210
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.