Agnostic.com

13 11

LINK Judge's Ruling Shows Religious Freedom Isn’t Just For The Christian Right

Shouldn't this be a humanitarian issue as opposed to a religious one?

IAJO163 8 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good on the judge!

Religious Freedome applies to everyone. If I don't want to participate or attend a religious event, then its my right to do so. Christians seem to think that they are the only class that religious freedome applies to. Guess what? It applies to Muslims, Buddists, Hindus etc.

Trod Level 5 Jan 18, 2020

Interesting twist on religious liberty.

I think it is not a twist, but how it ought to be applied across the broad spectrum of religious thinking, whetherI agree with the thinking, or not.

The Constitution & Bill of Rights gives us freedom of or from religion.
The current crop of legislators are ignoring it to kiss the ass of rapacious Evangelicals, writing really bad law to trigger court cases......these court cases are carefully designed to further their agenda.....law/court attacks on Roe vs Wade are similarly pending.

Not perfect but I'll take what I can get in the way of justice. And I use that term loosely.

Both as I see it... Freedom to exercise Altruism / Humanitarian Aid whether you're Humanist, Christian, Buddhist, Atheist or whatever... I view Atheism as a belief system that should have the same rights and protections as any other religion. If I was bringing water to the thirsty and breaking the rules doing it, I would want the same protection of religious freedom under the law as any other believer. I have beliefs, even if it's just in evolution.

I'll be honest: I think that bigoted baker has a right to choose what they bake or don't bake. It's not a life or health critical service.

That said we should legally compel any service that involves life or health. The companies that pick and choose healthcare options create a life-altering bias, that bias should be removed or compensated for. So the companies either should choose to pay or give equivalent monies to allow the health care reciever to choose.

However, I'm not sure how relevant "religious rights" are when a person is proving health aid. Health aid should be independent of "religious rights".

I totally agree with you, it would have been better if the judge had said that any person has a legal right to provide health aid to any person regardles of their status. I don't like judgements regarding "religious rights" which presume you have to be religious to claim that right; I prefer judgements that give provide general rights independent of religious considerations.

I do not believe the baker has the right to refuse on religious grounds, critical service being irrelevant, in this case. I can understand that it could be emotionally difficult for a homophobe baker to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, but, it's a business open to the public. On another hand, I can see a gay couple not wishing to do business with such a one, that is a private matter, imho.

It seems to me that when conservatives and evangelicals get into the process of making law they do not give thought to what the repercussions of what they are doing are. They think they are doing things that will further their efforts, while not taking the results of these efforts to their logical conclusions. Thus with some thought and the use of law one can get past their ideas and go to another realm. One can work to use logic and the way the law works to get past the barriers presented.

I believe they carefully write bad law to trigger court cases, believing that they can chip away at rights they think are "evil"

I have long equated the evangelicals with the Germans that supported Nazism, but also chided myself for being as biased as they are. However, with their wholehearted and unwavering support of Trump and his scarcely disguised white nationalism, I feel vindicated.

I recall seeing a video of an ICE officer picking up plastic jugs of water left in the desert and dumping them out. He had a smirking smile on his face that showed pride in his actions. He could just as easily be a concentration camp guard pouring Zyklon B into a gas chamber. That is where Christian Morality is today, and has been for centuries.

We need to start fighting this culture war in earnest before they kill us all. These people are toxic psychopaths who need to be stopped (1st Amendment be damned). You can be sure that they have no real respect for the Constitution and happily endorse a president that disregards it.

It is disgusting that it is the religious right that is condemning the work of a humanist, and, that they have so much power. I do not see this as a major victory, because the government is still going to continue to harass anyone who goes into the area or near the border . . . . I went down that way with a metal detector, was going to look around, but got stopped on the way. The asked me to open the trunk of my car, I did, all there was in it was the metal detector. It would be kind of fun to move down that way join the fun though, and it is definitely justified, the way I see it. It is clear that the government likes religion as long as it suits their purpose, otherwise, they hate it.

Thank you for this. Religious freedom means all religions (and non) not just a few sects. Years ago a Jewish group wanted to put up a Hanukah sign at the airport in the Seattle/Tacoma area during the helliday season and were granted that right (it is a public space). Of course the 'christians' protested but too bad they lost. Public means open to all. Then FFRF put up their sign (which was stolen - but recovered) and that really got to the religious fanatics. Our Governor Christine Gregoire, decided the best way to settle this was to ban all special interest groups from advertising. Of course, everyone but the christians were satisfied.
[ffrf.org]

This is good; but it is sad that he had to fall under the protection of "religious freedom."

That said, this type of action might be the only way to combat these right-wing Evangelical extremists who think they are the only ones who matter. One of the reasons I like the Church of Satan is that they challenge the religious Right, letting them know that they are not the only religion.

Wow. This can have an effect in so many ways. Hopefully this gets a huge amount of media attention.

In a large way, it is the Christian right wing supporting anti immigration and the dehumanized actions and treatment of humans crossing the Sonoran Desert. They really need to understand it is not a Christian value to promote war or behave the way the U.S. has on it's southern border.

Maybe this will cause some of them to question if their actions, thoughts and jeers are actually those of a Christian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:432299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.