Agnostic.com

32 8

Anyone enjoy doing their own automotive\household\misc. repairs?

I particularly get satisfaction from fixing items that I know should have a longer life (coffee makers, dishwashers...). I also like the feeling of saving some serious dosh by doing most of my appliance and car repairs myself. Case in point was a $10 part to fix an igition problem with my car. The mechanic wanted $300.

TrailRider 7 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have done my own basic plumbing work, electrical work, automotive work. I like being able to fix my own stuff and not have someone else do what I can do for a lot less money. For the more advanced stuff, I hire someone who knows what they are doing.

I enjoy remodeling/carpentry work. I’ll do plumbing repairs and dry wall as a way to keep my vocabulary of swear words updated. Automotive work can be fun.
In all of this, YouTube is your friend!

I could have used you recently for a car repair job. Bummer! ??

I say this respectfully: This is one of the most attractive things I appreciate about men like you. Very few of you guys left who can fix things around the house, etc. ?

Enjoy? Sometimes. I tend to enjoy it more if I am doing it for someone else. Working on my own stuff seems like a chore. I am a better diagnostician than repair guy, though.

Man, can I ever relate to this. I noticed when I was a teenager in the '70s that I liked cutting other people's yards but not my own. I so compulsively notice what could be improved and think constantly about how to improve things, that I get depressed & overwhelmed with those thoughts. The hardest part is actually getting started doing what I know needs to be done. I hate disappointment so much that it causes lots of problems. One seems to be I'd rather think there is a possibility of fixing something than trying to do it and find out it's much harder than I thought or I probably can't fix it.

Some things. The bolt-ons on a car I like doing. Certain easy to get to repairs. After that, I hire out. It's also important to keep the economy going as much as saving money is. I do like the self-accomplishment part of it though.

Yes, have always been pretty handy with most things but now the things have become 'digital' this old timer seeks assistance of the 'paid for' variety.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.