Agnostic.com

7 3

Over the years, New Zealand has become a more secular country. Can't wait for the results of the recent census. I'm hoping we (the non-religious) become the majority. Maybe then we can convince the government to make churches pay their fair share of tax. Your thoughts?

BadPoet 3 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd love to move to NZ, but the impossible point system makes it unrealistic unless you marry in.

Not being surrounded by uber-religious people all the time was one of my favorite things about being in New Zealand. I miss it so much. Wishing you luck!

Yes...IMO churches should pay property taxes just like any other property owner. Pay income taxes on the money they collect...pay sales taxes on the stuff they buy....tax the salaries of the clergy...

Yet another reason to swim the trench.

I would love to see the same in the USA.

If that happens, hopefully AUS follows suit.

At least in the US, if we tax one non-profit we would have to tax them all (at least as I understand it) and that could hurt non-religious organizations. There would also be to many loop holes allowing big churches to avoid taxes. There are also constitutional issues with free exercise of relgion. I am no expert on the matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43703
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.