Agnostic.com

11 17

Today's hike: beautiful, ghostly, fog ice crystals

With microspikes, Karen and I hiked above Squilchuck State Park in fog from the winter inversion. It was ghostly in the woods with fog ice crystals on trees and bushes. Felt like being in a refrigerator.

With hard ice on the trail from snowmobiles, microspikes kept us from slipping.

Tomorrow wind will blow away the fog, followed by snow. Hooray!

I love the second photo because white ice crystals contrast with the dark tree trunk. Love the curves. It's the first shot I took.

For Christmas, I asked my daughter Claire for an inflatable sit-upon from REI for winter hiking. No more frozen butt.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry I did not have a CAMERA 26 years ago when we saw a frozen spray of ice resembling an ice coated tumbleweed shot out up between Mississippi River giant ice chunks below the Bellvue Lock&dam where eagles fish in moonlit water

@ADKSparky, @Trumpeter, @CS60, @heymoe2001, @bobwjr, @ToolGuy, @glenlab, @Aurora62, @hankster, @RoyMillar,

We noticed ice crystals were larger in open areas with more air circulation.

like hail. interesting.

Beautiful frost crystals. 🥶

@ADKSparky

The cold, moist fog created ice crystals.

[images.search.yahoo.com]

@LiterateHiker We get them under the right conditions in the fall through early spring. They're beautiful.

Up here in AK we had pouring rain followed by a freeze a few days after a foot of snow so we are able to walk on it like it was tarmac because the rain gave it a rough texture. Even though the side roads are covered in ice I can walk on it like it was asphault. As someone from the southeast this is wild for me.

That sounds like an awesome hike. Great shots!

CS60 Level 7 Dec 11, 2019

@CS60

Thank you!

Great pics! What a lovely hike it must have been.

@heymoe2001

Thank you!

@LiterateHiker thank you all for sharing

Micro spikes! Thanks. Did not even think of these until your post. I walk to work every day. Monday was raining thought nothing of it since it was above freezing, wrong. One little patch of frozen sidewalk and I went down on my arm and side like a bag of cement from a two story building. Sore arm and bruised ribs for sure and maybe a fractured rib. Be sore for a couple of weeks and winter is just starting. Could have been worse so I just ordered a pair and will be wearing whenever snow or icy sidewalks call for it.

@Mark013

I sewed Velcro straps so I don't lose microspikes in deep snow.

Collapsible trekking poles help, too. Even using one pole gives you three-point stability.

Sorry you slipped and got hurt! You could have easily broken a bone. Whew.

Awesome when that happens

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 11, 2019

I used to love the designs the ice fog at Fairchild (Spokane), we used cold fog dispersal, so the ice fog would stick to any thin surface. The chain link fences would have a lattice like attachment several inches out from the fences, the trees were all frocked and because they used propane to disperse the fog, the roads were slicker than.. pretty much anything you can imagine.

pogonip.

@hankster

What does "pogonip" mean?

@LiterateHiker its a native American word for frozen fog. from up your way.

Sounds like it was a great hike for you two,more beautiul pics ,love your adventure and pics ,winter wonderland up there

@RoyMillar

Thank you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:437293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.