Agnostic.com

15 7

"I never fit in anywhere," Isabel Allende said. How about you?

"I never fit in anywhere, not into my family, my social class, or the religion fate bestowed on me," Isabel Allende wrote in "My Invented Country."

This is true of many immigrants, gay people, artists, folks straddling different cultures, and children of alcoholics. Sensitive, artistic sons resisting sports-crazed fathers and schools. Pioneering women in male-dominated professions.

Sometimes I feel like I don't belong on this planet.

In my 30s, at work people called me "the virgin" because I refused to drink coffee or eat fast food, donuts, pizza: fatty, sugary crap that Americans love.

As one of the top three directors, I tried running with the top two men to be "one of the boys." They ignored me in meetings because I'm a woman.

Now I'm an atheist and Democrat in largely Republican, Christian Eastern Washington.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am envious of your lifestyle and good health....my war left me furious of the Bush Crime Family that murdered Allende leaving his widow stranded in USA.....the old boys who ignored you ARE NOT MEN.....women and men are born Feminist Atheists and are brutalized away from this shrinking garden earth you hike....my thoughts are of Woodstock NY and Crosby Stills Nash&Young singing there in the foothills of Adirondacks somewhat akin to your path up into your mountains....with a blanket and trail mix with Chianti, my dream is to find a pristine bed of moss never to be a virgin again or stone cold snow alone

Our society (and, in a way, I suppose all societies) values conformity.

I suppose part of the enduring appeal that evangelical Christianity had on me was that it was a way to conform when I already felt I was a fish out of water. I was too introverted, too intellectual, not quite neurotypical, too idealistic, etc., and people chronically didn't "get" me. Hell, I didn't get me at times.

Non-conformity, even if a person isn't really trying to rebel, is a warning or danger sign that someone is not quite on board with the program. It's off-putting to people. It can be threatening. Or just plain irritating.

I have gotten used to it. I no longer expect to be "grokked". Or particularly need to be. It's a fool's errand. It's enough work to grok yourself. Sometimes when one's immediate family misconstrues what you're trying to say or do or what your motivations are, it still stings. They, of all people, should have some clue about you. They, of all people, know you have earned their trust. But ultimately even that is having expectations, however arguably reasonable, and that is the stuff that suffering is made of.

I made a quality decision a few years ago that my personal peace and self image and enjoyment are not going to depend on others. While I still don't have perfect command of that mindset, it is generally serving me well.

@mordant

"What do "grokked" and "grok" mean? Scratches head

@LiterateHiker It means "to understand intuitively or empathetically". It was coined by SciFi author Robert Heinlein in the 1960s and I think I first encountered it in an "I Grok Spock" poster in the 1970s. It sort of betrays my geekiness that I use it.

@LiterateHiker "Stranger in a Strange Land" I remember this as a good read. It is where the term "grok" comes from.

I've found that being thrust into a different living-state distances me from my "normal" outlook-group. This has occurred in two significant events.
Becoming a male single-parent required a radical lifestyle change from typical 30-something males in my sphere.
At age 55 I closed up shop here and moved to China. Stayed about 3 years. For the past 10 years I continue to experience reverse culture shock.

I’m not sure how much of my flaming introvert personality is innate, or a learned defense strategy from growing up with an abusive, alcoholic father and co- dependent mother, but growing up I struggled to fit in.
Now, I don’t give it a second thought.

@Haemish1

Like you, I grew up with a critical, alcoholic father. Nothing I did was good enough for him.

By the time I went to college, I had a painful inferiority complex. At 28, I attended a facilitator's training by Jean Illsley Clarke, Ph.D., author of "Self-Esteem: A Family Affair." In the main group of 90 counselors and teachers, I raised my hand and asked a question. Dr. Clarke paused.

"Kathleen, have you read 'The Drama of the Gifted Child' by Alice Miller?" Dr. Clarke asked. "You are the gifted child."

People gave me wonderful feedback. I wrote it down to remember. Lee said: "Kathleen, you are like a hummingbird to me. You're so beautiful and alert. Your eyes are so alert. I love watching your face, and like a hummingbird, you mentally go flitting from one thing to another. Beautiful, intense, delicate, have you seen them?"

"You are a powerful and sensitive leader," Michelle said. Still have trouble believing it.

"Don't show all of your gifts all at once," a wise counselor said. Meeting new people, I resist the urge to tap dance to please them.

@LiterateHiker
I’m far more adept at interpretive dance than tap, I frequently use it to make myself memorable during job interviews 😉

@Haemish1

I meant "tap dancing" figuratively, trying to charm and please people.

@LiterateHiker it is always better to be underestimated than over estimated.... to have a reserve that can be a surprise to reveal....

Like all cats, I believe I bring panache and savoir faire everywhere I go.

Others consider me a feral pest.

Seriously, though, I have enough sense of self worth that whatever makes me different from others, for better or worse, I don't let it count against me, if that makes sense. I try to counter "stranger in a strange land" feelings with "act like I own the place".

I mean, I integrated here on this board without the whole "Hi, I'm new here, please be my friend" schtick - that's my IRL mode, too.

Ditto. I can seemingly fit in anywhere and with most anybody, but never really do with the rarest of exceptions. In one of the more common psychological type assessments I have the most uncommon personality type, for whatever that is worth.

I do find that most of my friends are either artistically inclined in some way: musicians, theater, painting, etc. All read books and are constantly trying new things and sharing ideas and articles to discuss among ourselves. So, in that respect, I don't feel like I don't fit in.

However, I did feel out of place in the corporate world...there was a period of time where I felt smothered and compelled to fit in: buy a bigger house, a nicer car, etc. It was just not "me" so I got out. I was lucky to have found a job where what I did in my private life did not impact my career and vice versa.

I think we all eventually gravitate to our people, our tribe and find our safe place. It is when you venture out that you have to remember that everyone is an outcast somewhere and some way. That is why it is good to always have a rock to help you find your way "home" no matter where you are. This site has a lot of rocks for me...I feel connected to many of you...

I've never fit in anywhere. Even in my successful career I was a social outcast. I only barely fit in here.

As I read your list of people above who don't fit in, I was glad to see myself at the end: children of alcoholics.

I never felt I fit in because I was a sensitive artsy misfit who was easily picked on when I was growing up. Didn't start to really connect with people until I got to college; one of my friends there said I was an "old soul" and that always stuck with me. I could pick out a lot of BS, although I didn't want to because I always envied people who seemed to sail through life when I couldn't.

You belong to this planet, they are the ones that should be somewhere else in another universe. I stopped trying to belong or be accepted some generations ago. So as I am I go until I went for good. Heart hard as a rock, Brain unabridged and undeclared. Flesh sweet as honey. So I am the Prince of Santurce, The Gypsy of the New Spain, Never Afraid of being Some Jerk Pain in the Butt.

p.s. Isabel Allende is One of the Best Writers in this Planet.

I always have been a square peg in a round hole. When my children were small (pre teen and teen) they used to say to me "why can you not be "normal" like other mothers", and now they are proud of the person I am.

You were normal. You were also uncommon The distinction is important.

Ever been at a campfire and when you sit down by it with everyone else, have the smoke of the fire follow you around the the fire no matter where you sat to get away from it? Well, that's me.

@MrDragon

That happens to me, too! Smoke seems to follow me, wherever I sit.

@LiterateHiker I always figured that nobody liked me much and really didn't want me there and was why the smoke followed me, as strange as that may sound that was my conclusion. I didn't fit in at all, and the smoke showed me the way. lol
But the good news is, we have both survived.

"You need to dumb down your conversation," a man said within 10 minutes of meeting. "Men are intimidated by your intelligence and class." I was appalled.

"Speak for yourself," I replied firmly. "Obviously, you are intimidated by my intelligence. I refuse to act stupid to mollify the insecure ego of a sexist man."
(Slam dunk)

It turned into a hilarious evening for me. Over dinner, I interviewed him, drawing him out. He bitterly resented his female supervisor. He flew to Russia to find a subservient bride. "None of the girls would go home with me," he said sadly.

I laughed and gave him a mini-lecture on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

By the end of the evening, he wasn't speaking to me.

That went well.

Good for you. I don't judge anyone for how they are, however, I am extremely selective about who I will voluntarily spend time with to the exclusion of others. I don't do dumb.

Power meets petulance Back From The USSR ....he deserves all comeuppance but probably did not understand anything you taught him until you zipped up his zipper BRAIN for him hanging out his misogynist mouth

Big hug. I was adopted and am very different from my family. Childhood in the suburbs where blending in is the easiest path was hell. I know from reading many of your posts that you have a mind and opinions; this should be something you cherish and embrace. Not being one of the sheep people is wonderful!

MizJ Level 8 Dec 16, 2019

@MizJ

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful reply. I appreciate your support.

Big hug to you!

Awesome honey

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 16, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:439023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.