Agnostic.com

10 0

So many men and women have died for the values that our flag represents. I maintain that death should be the punishment for TREASON. I also support the death penalty for murder in the 1st degree. What are your thoughts?

Marine 8 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a veteran, I think it's ridiculous to assume why I joined and what the flag means to me. For example, I think Kaepernick is representing the flag better than drunk idiots who sit on a couch during that same anthem and wipe their ass with an American flag towel, racist jerks with confederate flags and idiots who defend pedophiles. I think the government is full of traitors that Snowden exposed. The government paying companies to leave American computers insecure is a crime against America. So who do we kill for that?

It just hurts to see the flag or the anthem not be respected. I also see the need to offer protest however, if their type of protest were made in some other countries they would be imprisoned. So men and women have died to protect their right to protest as they do.. As a vet I wish we could accomplish their protests some other way. Being in the military and a foreign land and rising to the National Anthem & the flag raising in the morning always gave me goose bumps and a lot of pride. Our country has it's problems but I would want to confront them in the USA rather than Russia or China.

So you wish we were more like Russia and China where everyone “respects the flag”? Or do you wish cops would stop disproportionately shooting black people so that we had a flag that commanded respect instead of demanding it. Have you served under both kinds of leadership and learned the difference between commanding and demanding respect? My bedroom used to have a flag I bought in theater hanging so it was the first thing I saw in the morning for over a decade. I took it down when the nazis had the guy they beat down in Charlottesville arrested. I can’t wait until I can respect the flag enough to put it back up. That doesn’t mean I don’t love it any less, I am just disappointed with what it represents these days.

1. Because a government is the organisation which dictates who commits treason it is not appropriate for them to execute people. If a government is corrupt (And most have corruption to some degree) then they can charge their enemies with treason and kill them in order to silence the opposition. The British have done it, the Americans have done it. Every country does it.
    Edward Snowden and Julian Assange who released classified documents and film footage of strikes which had already been completed. Showing when governments murder indiscriminately is important to avoid totalitarian regimes from rising and declaring their opposition as treasonous and killing them.

2. We shouldn't kill people who murder for 2 reasons. 1, the legal systems of the world are ridiculously corrupt and inefficient. When they make the wrong choice and find an innocent person guilty for a crime they didn't commit then we are killing someone who is innocent. 2, killing someone is too small a price for murder. I think that murderers should be forced to work for 16 hours a day doing manual labor whilst having an explosive (or shock/tranquilizer) collar affixed to their neck so that if they run away they can be tracked and if they begin a revolt they can be killed. Doing things like digging drainage ditches, clearing up rubbish, clearing up leaves or snow. Make them work in extreme conditions to ensure that they suffer every day for the crime they committed. As long as they definitely committed the crime and admitted it. That last part is important.

I too believe that that the prison system is to easy on murders and treason. If not death then solitary for life wouild be my option.

So you support the death penalty for Trump, I suppose, given that he colluded with an enemy power to throw the US Presidential election?

Seriously: this is a SILLY post. Most US soldiers who have died haven't done it for "the values our flag represents", they've done it so US corporations can grab resources they want. The last war we fought for a good reason was WWII (maybe Afghanistan, -but that has turned into a quagmire).

A traitor is a traitor.. if you are aware of the consequences when you do the act you suffer the sentence. I agree the corporations need to be brought under control and we might be able to this if we limit the money they can contribute. When someone creates a murder I cannot support caring for them for their lifetime. I am also concerned about a false sentence being imposed but someone like Manson should have died.

Did you know that life without parole costs taxpayers less money than the death penalty? That's a fact.

And for as long as we have a system that is biased against minorities and the poor, we will never be able to have confidence that someone convicted is actually guilty.

In my opinion most US soldiers became soldiers because they didn't have a good job. And they didn't think, as most young people do, that they were going to die.

the cost of the death penalty is only high because of the ginormous amount of appeals, and the bizarre standards for lethal injection. What difference does it make how we kill them as long as its quick?

I, personally, would reserve the death penalty only for the highest offenders, like our entire government, every CEO and ex CEO and board of directors or ex board of directors members of any multinational corporation, every large bank owner, Pastors, narcissists, and evangelists, hyperbolically speaking

Just a couple of reasons I don't believe in the death penalty:

1. There are quite a number of people who have proven to be innocent after being executed.
  2. Life without parole is actually a far worse sentence. It is also slightly cheaper for taxpayers as there aren't all of the appeals processes that a death row inmate goes through.
  3. There is just no need for the death penalty in modern society. It is a sign of an uncivilized society that still enforces the death penalty.

I agree with you on #1 and #2 but to care for someone who has brought so much hurt to others does not seem correct either.

Well, at this point our flag doesn't represent much other than 'Believe in a lie and pay the mafia'

It doesn't do us any good to judge what treason is unless we can simplify our values as a nation. But if you're asking 'should our entire government be deposed and killed and be stripped of their assets?' then yes i agree, hyperbolically speaking, lol

With this adm. it seems like a good decision. He has drained the swamp and placed them in positions to do more harm yo our country. It will take years to correct these mistakes when we get rid of them!

I don't think so. I don't support the death penalty at all. A hefty fine, perhaps, for a corporation that commits treason. For individuals, I'm not sure what punishment I'd call for, but certainly not death.

What if they killed your family in a brutal manner. Their lives ended but they will still enjoy many benefits of living even in a prison. If not death they should be held in solitary. confinement for life!

@BobHKniola
What if they did? I don't want anyone's family killed in a brutal manner, nor do I want anyone killed for any other reason, even if they may have killed my family in a brutal manner.

Unless we can guarantee that no innocent person will ever be put to death, we should put no one to death--even those who deserve it. And, what silvereyes said.

OK solitary confinement for life. I do not want them enjoying TV etc!

Who gets to define "treason"? Some people would have it be refusing to stand for the national anthem or to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Some would have it be any dissent. Some would have it be actively attempting to overthrow the US government by unlawful means.
Our country was founded on the right to disagree, even with the government, and on the idea that we have a right to change the players in that government. It was founded on freedom - and that means freedom NOT to grovel to a flag or jabber pledges. Those things belong to fascism and totalitarianism.

Agreed But I do not want a murderer or someone who has cost American lives to go to a prison and watch TV for the rest of their lives. On second thought that might do as a fate! If not death then for the worst offenders solitary confinement for the rest of their lives would do. They receive to many benefits in prison for the acts they have committed.Murderers / traitors deserve a harsh punishment.

The Constitution, Article 3, Section 3, defines treason as: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

I oppose the death penalty in any case.

OK how about solitary confinement for life! No TV and other benefits.

In cases in which the treasonous acts have resulted in irreparable harm to our country and/or resulted in American deaths, yes. Otherwise, 25 years to life.

If Trump is convicted of treason, the best sentence would be life. Then he would live thee reast of his life as a disgraced loser, in abject misery.

Sounds good how about solitary confinement for life?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.