Agnostic.com

4 0

How can we stop shootings?

What can be done to stop public shootings? I am talking about things that are not currently discussed like arming teachers, taking away guns, and metal detectors? Let's brainstorm and think outside the box. Thanks.

Grecio 7 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For one thing, 24/7 news coverage only serves to encourage them!

First target research on the most prolific areas of gun crime. Then ascertain the demographic of the offenders in the area.

With this information it is possible to assess the risk factors for the demographic in play and address these. Is it a specific gun culture? Is there a preponderance of substance abuse? Is it something else entirely?

There are many risk factor components but identifying the demographic comes close to identifying potential perpetrators.

What do we do with the people who have been identified as potential perpetrators?

@RoboGraham you are not looking for the individuals but the the hot spots from which they arise. It is then possible to assess the interventions that can be put in place to help with the environment that is nurturing the behaviour.

@Bushshaker How can we take away the freedom of people who haven't committed any crimes?

@Geoffrey51 What sort of interventions do you recommend?

@RoboGraham I don’t. That would be for sociological bodies, in conversation with the justice system, to ascertain as their research would have many longitudinal studies to ascertain potential actions to precipitate meaningful outcomes.

@Geoffrey51 They should have started doing that a couple of decades ago.

@RoboGraham I agree. It takes political will that’s the problem. And financially it’s not the cheapest option in the short term.

Attack it at the source. Develop methods to identify people who are in emotional crisis and provide them with the help they need.

This is not new but could we get retired military to go and patrol?

I don't see how that would be any more effective than placing police officers in schools, which we already do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:439355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.