Agnostic.com

3 0

How do I help “deprogram” my husband’s “guilt” from Catholic upbringing. He IS an atheist but carries all the weight of damage done to him. ALL of his family is devout (to a rediculous fault) Catholic.

We aren’t in “the club” anymore.

chickenlady 2 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We all make mistakes and the biggest one of all is not to learn from them. The guilt you describe is from someone else's mistake. I was also Catholic and my first wife and i married in a religious ceremony - she was protestant (that actually turned out to be a good thing because I was also able to get this marriage annulled - which is silly now but a big deal then). My biggest guilt was in somewhat bringing up my daughter Catholic (I was starting to see the light on religion so it wasn't heavy handed). My daughter is involved in a mega protestant church but we have a good relationship and I can slowly plant some seeds of doubt. It sounds as if the family is more of a burden on him and a line must be drawn. Religion and guilt go hand-in-hand.

I feel that there are a lot of ex-theists in our nation who are suffering from various forms of PTSD (and I'm not being hyperbolic). The effect that religion has had on us throughout our lifetimes has been traumatic, and dealing with it will probably take some help... even the help of a professional. In fact, I would love to see a branch of psychology dedicated to those who've been subjected to religion in their childhood.

I believed in an approachable God most of my life. Now, closing in on the end of my life, I will leave as an atheist. In all aspects of the living of life, we express life at the level of our understanding. In other words, in our life-long living of life, we are evolving. Even at the times we seem not to be evolving, we are still evolving, in non-evolving. Thus, be thankful for all of your experiences, they've built what you are today. Thus, tell your husband to be grateful for his past foolishness. Atheist blessings.

Tomm Level 5 Nov 20, 2017
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.