Agnostic.com

24 6

Do You Feel You Are Mentally Ready For A New Relationship?

Single's: Do you feel you are mentally prepared/ready to enter a new relationship?

I pose this question because being single, one can assume most of us have ex'es. Doesnt matter if you were married to your ex or just dating.

Some of us have been hurt by our ex, and some hurt their ex. Perhaps you lost your ex to death, or you are a widower. Perhaps your ex was abusive, or you abused your ex. What ever the reason, it resulted in you being single again.

Often times, we don't allow ourselves enough time to heal before we start a new relationship. We sometimes fall victim to our lonleyness, or we think a new relationship will help us forget about the last.

If your ex hurt you in some way, can you honestly say that you have face this pain head on and made peace with it?

If you hurt your ex in some way, can you honestly say that you have accepted the responsibility for causing this hurt
and feel you are ready to be a better person?

If you lost an ex to death, can you honestly say that you have completed the mourning process of losing this person
and your heart is open and ready to accept love again.

We enter into a new relationship with baggage from our last relationship. Just amagine being with a partner who is stuck in the past and constantly comparing you to their ex. Sounds like the begining of the end to me.

I would like for everyone to give this some thought!

Are You Ready For A New Relationship?
Have you resolved past issues?

Please explain your answer.

• 28 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 3 votes
twshield 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm mentally prepared for anything, but I just don't see it happening again.
If it does, I'm going to be more surprised than anyone.

@twshield You're right, I don't know. However, given that I'm not out meeting people, I don't drive anymore, and I'm not online dating, it's a pretty fair bet that it isn't likely to happen. I live with both feet firmly planted in reality. I have no illusions about meeting "Mr. Right", or even "Mr. Right now".

You know how I know? I just dumped a guy who, when he was around, made me feel magically happy, but would withdraw at random times eaving me feeling abandoned, and for the first time in my life I took a long hard look at how he might as well be heroin, and dumped him abruptly, no chance to ingratiate himself! Just walked away. Feeling Terrible withdrawal symptoms right now, but Know I did the right thing for me.....it only took almost 70 years to learn the healthy thing, lol!

That takes a lot of courage and self control. Attagirl!

@Deb57 thanks all! I am kinda proud of me.....and feeling a bit less weepy, too!

Yes I'm ready. One serious attempt 2 months ago with fellow member. Didn't work. Became friends. I'm ready to try again-lol

My ex was emotionally abusive and a skilled gaslighter. I want to want to date, but honestly I'm petrified.

Been there, done that (had it done to me) and eventually you will find yourself feeling stronger & smarter because of it. Most people really are good......

I grieve and date. My wife died unexpectedly only 4 1/2 months ago. Dating helps my grief. I date mostly widows, and they understand my grief, and we share how we deal with grief..

I empathize with your grief, EdwinMcCravy. My SO, my son's father, died when my son was 12. I cried for 5 years. By 10 years I was finally able to say I was past the grief. Happy for you that you are finding companionship

@crazycurlz But you see, I'm 80. I can't wait till I'm 90 to date. 🙂

@EdwinMcCravy I am Always annoyed by the pressure my age adds to a relationship! Any tips?

@EdwinMcCravy Oh, hey, grieving didn't stop me from dating! I dated online for a year or so, then got involved with a friend with benefits.
"Happy for you that you are finding companionship" means just what it says. 🙂

@crazycurlz And "You're real sweet" means just what it says, too. 🙂

@EdwinMcCravy you made my day. Thank you.

I'm still grieving over my recent divorce. Do you suggest I date only divorcees?

Was in a mentally abusive relationship. Oddly, I think it changed me for the better. Took almost a year before I would even consider dating, though some of that had to do with living circumstances.

My ex was pretty psychologically abusive. I feel like I've handled it well, all things considered, and have faced up to the issues it brought about. But I couldn't say with absolute confidence that I'm ready, and for that reason, I vote no. And don't plan on rushing into the next relationship, though I'm starting to dip my toes in the pool.

Yes! 🙂 It's taken 53 years and 6 mos to say it with conviction.

All power to you. Except now I want to take you on a date to see a Wes Anderson film 🙂

@Palindromeman That was AWESOME. The trailer AND the invite! lol

@Palindromeman oh, hey, one question: was that meant for me or twshield? 🙂

@crazycurlz That was intended for you, crazy!

@Palindromeman hahaha well that is so sweet! And Isle of Dogs to me looks way cool...character development and EMPATHY. I love empathy! 🙂 @twshield, my friend, your time will come. 🙂

@crazycurlz Just saying. Ahead of Isle of Dogs, I can't decide my favourite Wes Anderson film - it's either The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou,

or The Grand Budapest Hotel.

@Palindromeman ach! headed to work. Timing is everything. lol I'll have to check these out later. Definitely liked Isle of Dogs. Have a good day!

@crazycurlz No rush; check them out when you can. Enjoy your day too!

@Palindromeman grand budapest hotel looks hilarious

@crazycurlz You will love it, I promise you that.

I am prepared for a relationship but it, like every relationship, will need to come with understanding and support.

I'm an abuse and trauma victim, so my partner needs to understand I come with the symptoms of that. It isn't a case of "facing it head on and getting over it" it's a lifelong issue that will need to be worked with.

I am ready but at 73 my body says otherwise. I can love, I can have all those nice feelings and my head is in a good space but my body just will not co-operate. I still get the feelings but as a gay man I can't do anything about it. I've tried medications and injections but a dead bird can't fly out of the nest. I do have a few beautiful friends who I really value. I really value being cuddled or being the cuddler but that's about as far as I can go.

Sex is pretty much in your head...even women have wet dreams too. (look ma, no hands!)
I would imagine, just like in the staright world, there are many who prefer to be done with actual sex too....not to say whispering fantasies wouldn't be fun........

Mentally, yes. Financially, no.

I have a method, I look at my situation from the outside looking in. I look at my facebook, I look at my interests and my status, and ask if I'm happy with everything, would I wanna date myself? Do I love myself? What are my best and worst qualities and either improve what I can or if I'm content then I'm ready to let someone else in.

I feel like you have to truly love yourself before you can let someone else love you. Know your worth and what you have to offer.

@twshield That would be nice, but I would love to financially support myself. I want to bring something to the table too. 😀

For some, being done with an ex is harder than for others. When im done, its DONE.

I do not want another relationship, but this post reminded me of my sister. She's 86, and she has a steady significant other. They've been together for about 5 years.

marga Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

I love myself and I have a lot to offer. I feel that
if the time is right then it will.

I'm ready to start getting ready. Does that make sense? I've always been a harmless flirt, and I enjoy interacting with men and keeping things merry. After almost 18 years with my now ex-husband, I have no idea how people meet one another these days. Wanting to learn.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

Straight up? I don't know. I simply do not know. In my current hierarchy of needs, a relationship is well down the priority order. All I know is that I have a phonebook sized list of things not to screw up again. I repeat - I don't know.

Yes, for certain, my mind has never been more clear, my soul is rested, my future is brite, my past is gone, I live for the moment.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

A complex question asking for simple ideas. I have had a variety of relationships the first 2 of which were not very good and ended in separation. The next 2 were OK but I was not ready to make a committment to those women (I am still best friends with one). My last one was loving and wildly successful but she died suddenly (after 16 years). We both agreed we would keep the mourning period low (I was told and agreed she would have given me 2 weeks - one has to remember just because one stops mourning one forgets). Time references don't take into account the quality of the relationship and the mindset/experiences of the people involved. I asked myself if I was ready many times and then, one day, woke up and thought, ready for what? For a successful relationship there needs to be a lot of connections. That takes time. Even though it has not been quite 2 years since my partner died I am ready for another relationship but it will have to be a friendship relationship first and only time will tell if it will go further.

I'm just happy to meet people.
Ready ? As I ever was I suppose.
I don't really think in the same realm as most people seem to, so it isn't likely to happen that I'll go into another relationship, but I never thought I would then either.
Shit happens.

Great question. And one we all need to seriously contemplate before embarking on a new endeavor.
I did go through some abuse over the course of a 20 year marriage with an alcoholic. Without going into detail, I believe the main issue I'll never get past is personal dignity. It's important. And a deal breaker if I feel I'm being disrespected. I've actually got this big old soft heart that would love to love the right man...lavishly!
Am I holding my breath? Oh hell no! I'm fairly satisfied with myself. But it would be nice if it happened.

After a couple episodes of epic stupidity slapping me upside the head I have realized I'm not ready at the moment for much of any kind of commitment.

I don't practice celibacy, I just know I wouldn't be any good at it and it is not something I wish to perfect. I don't gave any issues re an ex, but I have become very set in my ways, and I see that as a problem.

No apostrophe needed on Singles

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44268
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.