Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK The Mind Of The Village -- Understanding our Implicit Biases | Hidden Brain : NPR

"Perhaps we behave in ways that are not known to our own conscious awareness, that we are being driven to act in certain ways not because we are explicitly prejudiced, but because we may carry in our heads the thumbprint of the culture," [Mahzarin Banaji] says.

evestrat 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love tests like this. It is good to be aware of our biases, knowing ourselves is important to improving ourselves.

I love this podcast! Skeptoid & This American Life are my other faves. Anyone have other recommendations?

I have heard the stories and they are very interesting especially Shankar Vedantam. Of course we are a product of our culture. That is one reason why those in rural areas tend to be more conservative than those in an urban one. One way around this is to go outside one's culture and live in other ones. I lived in Germany, Turkey and several parts of the US as well as traveled extensively. I know another language so I have a mix if cultures in my brain. I now live on an island (rural) which should preclude extreme conservatism but here just the opposite is true. There are many people like myself living here so we are very progressive (but also middle-class and white which bothers some but it is a geographical phenomena not a social one).

There's probably innate racism, xenophobia, in-group/out-group prejudice, etc., in most of us, to some degree, but I think that diminishes as we get to know people from a variety of backgrounds.

@evestrat Oh, whoops, I didn't realize there was audio. I just read the article text.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.