Agnostic.com

9 10

The most common issues people discussed in therapy this year.

Therapists, psychologists and counselors tell what their patients were struggling with most in 2019. Unfortunately, the trend in skyrocketing anxiety and depression rates appears to continue.

1. Comparing your life to someone else’s on social media.

2. Dealing with online dating.

3. Setting boundaries in relationships.

4. Anxiety, worry, stress and insomnia around work.

5. Issues with sex and pleasure.

6. Experiencing loss or uncertainty in some capacity.

7. Managing fear of mass shootings or other violent trauma.

8. Gender dynamics in relationships.

9. Dealing with triggering reports about sexual assault.

10. Anxiety over being in public spaces. This year has been unique in that we are seeing anxiety around school safety and gun safety much more frequently.

11. Navigating anxiety and depression at the same time.

My anxiety and depression have increased during the Trump presidency. Exercise, hiking and volunteering help me feel centered and happy.

Your thoughts?

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Worrying about my sons and grandson they live around Baltimore and increasing gun violence

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 31, 2019

#10 for me...I have to prepare myself to go to Costco and can't wait to get out...deep breaths...

Do you really have to buy large quantities from Costco ? If you drive hundreds of miles per week you might break even on gasoline versus membership fee ....are smaller stores just as confining to you ? Best wishes enjoy the free samples pizza and hotdogs are ok for carnivores

For informed, intellectually honest people, anxiety and depression is a justified response for the tRumpatastrophe.

I'm more like planning on starting a class action lawsuit for myself and everyone else who suffers from TDS.
I completely feel like trump is liable and needs to be held accountable.

trump and his followers are definitely affecting my mental health in the same way.

For me personally, #10 is the only one I think has any effect on my life. Diagnosed with PTSD and being an extreme introvert, I dislike crowds.

5 and 11 come to mind for me

My thoughts are that many of these issues could be partially alleviated by disconnecting again. Turn off your phone and your computer and your TV for a while; read a book. Or, if you're like my daughter and just have to have some audiovisual input, watch a good movie.

The culture of constant, 24/7 media updates that many people live in has good points, but those are negated to a great extent (in my opinion, and in the opinion of certain evolutionary biologists) by the way our minds are overwhelmed with the sense that the whole world is now our immediate neighborhood.

The same terrible events are happening that were happening before, but when news was 1/2 hour at noon and 1 hour at 6, it was filtered and kept in perspective. Now the news is a constant stream, rather, a flood, and it seems to be happening on our doorsteps, even though it's across the country or around the world. Our perceptions evolved to cope with events in an area something like 50 to 100 miles in diameter, and keep track of events in that neighborhood. Now, our neighborhoods are global, and our evolution hasn't caught up. Something terrible happening across the country seems as immediate as if it's in our living room. It takes a conscious effort to maintain an emotional distance, and it feels heartless to do so. It evokes guilt to take that step back and say, "It's 500 miles away," but it's necessary to do so, or one will be overwhelmed by living other peoples' lives along with them.

It's also helpful to remember that the media is in the business of sensationalizing everything they can. If it bleeds, it leads. While it is true that multiple shootings are at a new high (I dislike the term "mass" when the definition is 4 people shot- what does the word "mass" mean when the floor is 4 people? What's a "weapon of mass destruction", then?), remember that violent crime is down. We're actually still a much safer nation than we were in the Bush administration. Be alert and be aware? Certainly, but by all means, be unafraid.

Dealing with a few of those not easy

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 29, 2019

I think we all are that way

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:443615
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.