Agnostic.com

16 16

Attention all former bible scholars:

Preface: Sometimes I smoke weed and muse about the silliness of the Bible stories I heard as a kid. Today’s stoner ramblings are about the story of Cain and Abel.

So, I’m reading Genesis 4, the story of Adam and Eve having Cain and Abel and all that shit that went down. I took some notes, and I have some questions.

1. Cain and Abel both brought offerings to the Sky Daddy. Cain brought fruits, since he was the soil toiler, and Abel brought just the shitty, worthless fat portions of the meat from his flock. But Abel gets more respect from the lord? Why the favoritism?

2. Also, didn’t God assign them their jobs in the first place? Shouldn’t “giving back 10% of what God gave you” be a tithe? If Cain brought 10% of his crops, and Abel brought 10% of his meat, shouldn’t they be equal in the eyes of the invisible man?

3. Cain kills Abel, and is then banished from Eden to go live in the land of Nod. But before he goes, God puts a mark on Cain so that “if anyone finds him”, he wouldn’t be killed. Who the fuck are these people in Nod that might kill him? Where did they come from? Adam and Eve were the only two people on the planet, weren’t they?

I seriously don’t know how people devote their lives to this poorly written drivel.

IndySent 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a little theology from recollection.
1.--Cain used the fats and discards, the crap, whereas Abel used the good crops. Message being God (and the priests) can tell the difference and will punish your ass for cheaping out.
2.--10% tithing is a NT idea
3.--There are two (2) creation stories. 1 in ONE and the second in 2 the garden tale, the first is the creation of the human race, the second is the creation of the "Chosen people", the "land of Nod" is where all the other people lived and where the wives of Cain and Abel and their brother came from.

Not that ANY of it is true.

These were from god's divorced wife playing hell with god.

The Cain and Abel allegory is probably a poor retelling of another story whose origins came from an older, more sophisticated neighboring culture. Daniel, Ezeliel, and many other Bible stories began the same way. I believe the current metaphysical interpretation of the Cain and Abel story best describes its original meaning.
Very simply, Cain represents our own material personna or ego. Conversely, Abel represents our own spiritual nature (higher consciousness). The field Cain tills represents human physical sense consciousness, which he tills in an effort to gain material wealth. This focus on material gains produces unfortunate results, such as murder and desception.
Its important to note that "God" does not kill Cain, he is sent out to live among other (non-spiritual) communities . While he survives, his efforts toward prosperity become more difficult due to his lack of spiritual fortification. In metaphysical (mystic) interpretations people or communities often represent various thoughts or mind sets.
Finally, early pre Constantine Christians most notably Origen of Alexandria, Augustine, etc. recognized the allegorical, nature of the Cain and Abel story as well as nearly every other story in both the Old and New Testiments. The loss and cover up of the original meanings of these stories, and the turn toward biblical literalism is truly a crime against humanity (in my opinion) and is directly responsible for the inevitable growth of Agnosticsm and Arheism in our relatively sophistcated modern day culture. Traditional Christianity must either repent of these desceptions or will probably suffer a fate much worse than Cain.

@macrobius Yeah, Abel gave scraps because of the Jewish belief that God favored these scraps. Pretty convenient.

1.) It’s made up to control people.
2.) Not much of it makes sense.
3.) It’s a club and we’re not in it.
4.) A lot of the unhappiness in the world is from believing this tripe.
5.) I taught my children to think and let go. It’s all I coukd do and I’m happy.

There are stories in Jewish Angelology that Adams First Wife was Lileth who was created at the same time as Adam. Often bible stories are invented to explain the purpose or origins of a ritual.

What is also disturbing is they were married, so where did they find wives or?

All the cats in Nod are junkies.

“Then God said, ‘I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it...’” Genesis 1:29

There should be what appears to be little Gideon pocket bibles that actually dispense rolling papers...

@IndySent "Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be HIGH priest..."(Hebrews 5:8 8) )

You left out the most important part of the story - what kind of weed?

gater Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

@IndySent Ive been making edibles to save my lungs. I like them, maybe too much 🙂

@Captnron59 Is that why you look like Jesus? 🙂

Ok sometime whip up a couple of chapters of Ezekiel. Seriously it is a giant lsd trip.

Didn't they go bang aunt Lilith or something?

Yep your right! I think the Bible is pure B.S. I am so much happier as a Atheist!

When A&E were in the garden, they were the only people there. When they were banished they had to live among other peoples who worshipped other gods. How else did their sons find wives? A&E apparently had more than 30 children. I hope they founds other women for wives else there was a whole lotta incest going on. And that would explain so much.

So I googled A&E and got some odd stuff I've never heard of before. [en.wikipedia.org]

I gotta tell ya, that favoritism stuff is confusing and contradictory as hell. But in many stories of the buybull god is a capricous idiot who plays favorites.

Why do I feel like I need a shower.

Thought to share the following link with everyone.

Times change, so do ideals

The Bible is a book that few read. If more Christians read the whole bible, more of them would become atheists. And Yahweh 's obsession with foreskins is quite demented.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44455
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.