Agnostic.com

23 34

Not a drinker, I made bread on New Year's Eve.

Disappointed with dry store-bought bread, yesterday I made whole wheat oatmeal bread.

Cooked oatmeal makes up most of the liquid in this bread. A little honey makes the wheat sing.

Made with rolled oats, this bread is moist, light and bright. It has a rich, creamy flavor- very subtle, but with great warmth. Outstanding keeping quality. Devastating as toast.

For a noticeably higher rise, I kneaded in tiny chips of cold, unsalted butter toward the end of the kneading period. French bread bakers smear cold butter on the board. I do both.

Have been making bread for over 30 years. Kneading with 500-600 pushes is a good workout for arms and legs. With each push, I do a toe raise because the kitchen counter is too high.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks delicious and I don't even like wheat bread. LOL
Trust you to make bread-baking into a workout routine!!!

😉

And some fresh honey , woud be lovely .

I use my leftover whey from cheese making to make bread with. Your bread looks delicious. Some home made butter with that perhaps?

Both alcohol and bread are parties with yeast.

Warm and with butter, another five pounds proudly gained.

If I still ate such things, I'd bet it would make a killer french toast.

@AndrewInVail

With a little pure vanilla extract and cinnamon added to the milk, it makes wonderful French Toast.

Looks great to me...with cheese and wine!

Looks great!

Well done it sounds wonderful. I will email my address and send a stamped addressed parcel measuring 1 foot square.

Did same thing, but day before xmas. Last night it was yogurt. Not a drinker either. I have a funny story about quitting drinking.
Woman i was living with had an alcohol problem. I refused to get her some once. She drove herself as i called her dad. He called the police on her. He didn't have to. They already had found her, she drove through the side of the bar. Court ordered aa meetings. After several she wanted me to go with her because of guys hitting on her. That was jan 1990.
I havent drank since. Lol. And no i am not an AA'er, hung out there long enough not to bother anymore..lol

I used to hand make all the bread for a small restaurant I had.....16 loaves worth at a time. The favorites were herb parmesan and tomato basil. It's fun and so much better. I loathe store bought.

Ahh, my mouth is watering for a warm slice with butter...

@Bobbyzen

While the bread was hot, I devoured two pieces spread with butter. Heavenly.

@LiterateHiker I don’t bake bread, but I do have many visitors come through my home who DO! Those warm loaves fresh from the oven make for excellent eating 🍞

I miss baking bread, but my kitchen is too small to maneuver to knead the dough and get into the fridge at the same time.

Following my nose to your oven for awesome bread

One of our favorites is a recipe for honey/oatmeal bread. I'd concur with all your comments. We might have to try that butter bit modification. Thanks for posting this LH!

As a diabetic, this can only make me weep for the things I used to love.

I actually sneak into a local breakfast emporium once every couple of weeks for french toast or pancakes, because I need something to look forward to. But if I have bread at home I'm just constantly off the wagon ...

I ate soul food at an urban church. Some friends of mine (husband and wife) operate a church a few blocks away. They always invite me to the New Years Eve dinner. Besides being the only non-member there, I'm also the only white person there.

You have touched on a Hot topic ,that is warming to our sense of smell and Tummy,s Fresh home made Bread. Happy it turned out so good ,can savour it from here

Looks amazing!!!

Do you have a recipe for ciabatta?

@Mofo1953

I know how to make sourdough, whole wheat baguettes. Would that work?

You can look up recipes for Ciabatta.

@LiterateHiker love baguettes.

@Mofo1953

Me, too. The secret is a long, cool rise.

@LiterateHiker not good at baking but there's a baker nearby that makes outstanding ciabattas and baguettes, yum!

Wow, you must be so strong to do that. It is hard work to kneed dough. Fabulous. I can almost smell it cooking.

@Jolanta

While taking Spanish classes, I counted kneading in Spanish. But the numbers got too long!

467 is "cuatrocientos sesenta y siete."

Wow. You almost called my standard bread recipe right on the screws. The only thing you left out was olive oil.
There were some dough conditioner things missing too -- powdered milk and an egg -- but otherwise it matched just about perfect. Good job.😎

@RichCC

For two loaves:

1-1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups water
1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons dried yeast
1/2 cup warm water

3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup oil (I use grapeseed oil)

3 cups finely ground whole wheat flour
2 cup unbleached white bread flour

Cook the oatmeal in the water for 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in oil, salt and honey.

Cool oatmeal to 68 degrees. If it's too hot, bread will rise in the pans but not in the oven. I set the oatmeal pan in the sink with cold water and ice cubes.

Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water.

Mix the ingredients together. Even if the dough seems very stiff, don't add water just yet. The flour will absorb water from the oatmeal slowly, so the dough softens as you work. Knead for 10 minutes. If it still seems stiff then, add water gradually by wetting your hands and kneading until the dough holds as much water as it requires to become soft and supple.

Knead 400 times. For a higher rise, knead in tiny chips of unsalted butter, about 1/8 cup.

Knead a total of 500-600 strokes. Halfway through the kneading, you can gently tug and pull dough out flabby-thin. The surface will be plenty rough with little craters all over; the dough will tear easily.

When the dough is fully developed, it will pull into a paper-thin sheet, smooth and bright. When you hold it to the light, you can see the webbing of the gluten strands in the sheet.

Form the dough into a ball and place it smooth-side up in a greased ceramic bowl. Cover and keep in a warm, draft free place. After about 1-1/2 hours, gently poke the center of the dough about 1/2" with your wet finger. If the hole doesn't fill in at all, it is ready for the next step. Press flat, form into a smooth round , and let the dough rise again as before. The second rising will take about half the time as the first.

Press the dough flat and divide into two. Shape into balls and let them rest, covered with a damp cloth, until very much softer. Shape gently into standard, 3" x 4" greased pan loaves.

Let rise once more, in a warm place, and bake about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Tip - I use a heating pad covered with a triple- folded bath towel to rise bread dough. For the first two bowl rises, set the heating pad on medium. For rising in the pans, set it to high heat.

@LiterateHiker Thanks muchly. I'll go through it. If there were ever a case for the-devil-is-in-the-details, baking is it.

I use a bread machine (read lazy).
For one loaf:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp powdered milk
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp table salt
3/8 cup honey
1/8 cup olive oil
1 large egg
1 1/8 cup room temp water
2 tsp yeast

1/2 cup whole grains (usually old fashioned oats) just before the machine stops kneading.(so the grain won't dissolve)(my machine has a fruit setting to pause for the purpose).

I usually have whey filtered from yogurt to use as half of the water. It adds some protein and a little tang.

Same, made cookies over here on the east coast, brimming with gluten, sugar and dairy! 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:444796
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.