Agnostic.com

9 3

Human Future?

How do you feel about the possible extinction of your species in the relatively near future (next 500 years) and why?

• 8 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 1 vote
skado 9 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It makes me very sad to think of the world without humans. All human endeavors, lost. Yeah, we're not all good, but we're not all bad either.

Sometimes people (individually or collectively) have to hit bottom before we learn important life messages. We obviously are not learning what we (and many other species) need to know so a major correction needs to be made. BTW 500 years is too long.

Our experience on this planet is exponentially up ending!!!

We have past the peak of life on this planet, we will not be the last!!!

We are programmed by nature to want to survive, but I don’t think nature cares much. If our species doesn’t make it others will evolve and fill the gap. “They” are us also.

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fools. hahahahahaha

I've been dealing with tech support and watched Soylent Green yesterday so my mood is a bit dark at the moment which is why the query and poll made me LOL.

Whatever we feel about it, it is not likely to happen, because we are very good at surviving. It is hard to envisage any disaster so bad that a handful of survivers will not stagger out of a bunker years later, and start breeding again, and then in a few thousand year become a burden to the planet once more. The most hopeful outcome is that if that did happen, we have in the recent past exhausted so much of the world mineral resources that we would never again be able to develop a destructive technological culture and would have to settle for being an animal within a sustainable.

However in the long term we may go extinct, because we degenerate genetically under the conditions of modern technological culture, to the point where we are no longer good at surviving. Especially our probably rapidly declining intelligence. Then any small push could easily bring us total extinction.

It is also possible that we may split into two species on class lines, the rich and the poor, because the rich will be able to enhance and control there genetics using genetic engineering. While the poor only survive by becoming, as R. Dawkins put it. "Stupid enough to not understand how to use contraception. " That level of none-intelligence being the best breeding strategy available to us at this time, and into the foreseeable future, creating a massive selective pressure against intelligence.

500 years? The way things are going with the climate crisis, the human race could get wiped out only in a matter of decades. Are we clever enough to fix this and carry on or are we just too stupid to survive?!

• I'm an anti-natalist, believing that it's unethical to bring self-aware life into the world because prior consent cannot be given, so in that sense I'm okay with human extinction.
  • The reason for extinction is important, though, because imagining people don't out in misery makes me sad.
  • I do feel like the loss/end of human potential is something to be grieved, but that's true now in a lot of ways as we fail to work together for the betterment of all.
  • I also feel like it would be a shame for there to be no more art and nobody to appreciate the great beauty and expression of fine art, literature, cinema, and even technology.

After trying to deal with tech support folk you might have a different opinion. AND yesterday I watched Soylent Green while exercising 🙂.
The beauty, the music and the art yes that would be missed.

There are endless discoveries to be made, more to be grateful about than we can even imagine, endless amazing experiences, and limitless human talent, genius and new developments in consciousness, e.g. human evolution. There are no reasons I would not wish to see all that and more achieved.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:445027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.