Agnostic.com

4 3

Comfort foods?

Although my favorite food is cheese pizza, sometimes topped with vegetables, that's not my favorite comfort food. Mine is tomato soup and a plain grilled cheese sandwich. The soup warms me, physically, of course, but also emotionally. It, along with a grilled cheese sandwich, reminds me of childhood and, even though my childhood was largely miserable, I have only fond memories of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich lunches.

What are your go-to comfort foods? Do they remind you of specific memories? What feelings do they evoke?

resserts 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been practicing Intermittent Fasting, so I've been trying to think of other forms of comfort. HOWEVER: thin-crust New York style pizza, soul food, Indian food, anything warm and savory.

My mom used to make us grilled cheese sandwiches with Velveeta, accompanied by Campbell's Tomato Soup. That always triggers the Reptilian part of my brain.

I do like a good thin-crust pizza. While not exactly a comfort food for me, it's quite satisfying.

Velveeta may not be real cheese, but it's among the best for making a grilled cheese. That smooth, melty texture can't be beat. And dipping a grilled cheese sandwich into tomato soup is just divine. Ah, I might need to make this again today. 😋

Hot (real) buttered popcorn I made to watch the game with.

I really like popcorn with real butter. It probably doesn't qualify for me as comfort food, though it does remind me of my grandfather who would often prepare butter popcorn when I was a kid and we'd visit him on Sunday afternoons.

@resserts I have 2 air-poppers (in case one dies, they do not make my preferred brand anymore) White popcorn (the yellow has too many "clinkers",) real butter, some Molly McButter instead of salt, some non-virgin olive oil to make it have better mouth feel. IMO, practically health food, lol!
Now, what team(s) do you follow.?..trick question!

@AnneWimsey Practically health food! Ha! Still better for you than most snack foods, though. It sounds like you have popcorn preparation down to a science. As for sports, I can't watch any of it. Whatever gene people have that gets them interested in spectator sports is most definitely lacking in my DNA.

@resserts I only follow my Patriots, have done so since they absolutely Sucked in the early 80's.....

@AnneWimsey This is basically my response to any sporting event:

I'm odd. I don't have a comfort food or much interest in food really. Unfortunately it's only a fuel 😟
Wait! My sister makes an awesome orange mandarin five layer cake. Must be refrigerated.

I wish I didn't really care about food or eating except to keep fueled, which would make healthier eating a lot easier, but I have to be conscious of what and how much I consume.

@resserts But it's no fun. I don't want to be the one who has to has to eat out with me 😟

@freeofgod Yeah, I guess it has its challenges, too. I hadn't thought of that. On the other hand, if I were eating out with you I'd probably be asking you if I can sample your leftovers. 😁

Love citrus-based things!

Chocolate, especially Rocky Road Ice Cream. I like grilled cheese and tomato soup as well.

And now this song is in my head (which isn't a bad thing)…

@resserts Thank you!! I've never heard it before and it's perfect!

@HippieChick58 I love Weird Al. He's so much fun. 😊

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:445724
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.