Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Fresh Air: 'Doing Harm' By Maya Dusenbery : Shots - Health News : NPR

I heard this today when out doing errands.
Yet another way that women are being left out.
It's really crazy to think that some studies on medical procedure/pharma do not include women.

Akfishlady 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is absurd! Even women doctors are not giving women patients the proper attention? Jesh!!

It takes longer for women to get pain meds, and then we get less. Our concerns are not taken seriously. I remember a friend told her pediatrician her son had projectile vomiting. His reaction was "yeah, sure mom." Mom was an RN. The kicker was as she was leaving the baby's vomit hit the doc square in the chest from 5 feet away. Then the doctor ordered tests. And yes, meds are not tested on women, frequently it is guesswork on the part of doctors. But if you got a limp dick you can get meds. I know, crazy, sexist, parternalistic.

For the last few years, there have been more women than men entering UK medical schools - 55% of medical students are female, and it's predicted that within a few years there will be more female doctors working in the NHS than male ones. There is definitely still a tendency for women's health concerns to all too often brushed off, as though "the silly little thing just needs to stop being hysterical and get on with it" - hopefully, with so many female doctors, that'll change in the UK at least. (It's also worth noting that 46% of senior management roles in the NHS are held by women; that too ought to be beneficial.)

Jnei Level 8 Mar 27, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44625
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.