Agnostic.com

5 4

How is a grassroots movement started?

People are arguing over the wrong thing when it comes to semi-automatic weapons. It isn't whether or not to ban semi-automatic weapons. That is only one possible step. It will take more than one thing in order to stop the massacres in this country. I suggest a grassroots movement to incite change. By coming up with a comprehensive list of possible steps to create safety, we can send them to our individual Representatives and members of Congress to prompt their discussions of a solution.

Our youth have let us hear their voices. Let us carry the problem through to a solution. Any ideas, experiences, or comments would be most appreciated.

EllenDale 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To see these young people in the US mobilising and getting political about it, gives you hope for the US. Journalist Mark Shields on the PBS NewsHour put it well when he said in America at the moment the children (young people) are acting like adults and adults are acting like children.

@David1955 I totally agree. I don't understand how elected officials can say these students should do something about it or "we are the adults." Mobilization is the first step. I totally agree with Shields!

I think you are witnessing one with the Parkland Survivors and I think they are doing well. They are surprisingly articulate, and are showing amazing empathy (regards using their inertia as a way to allow less fortunate/affluant communities to finally have a voice), and they are in the right. Better, I feel that they are doing a very good job of discussing the issue, rather than just demanding an edict.

I plan on supporting them as much as I can and seeing if we can ride this movement (not a moment) to a solid conclusion which bans weapons initially designed for fully automatic fire (assault weapons). I think, in fact, if you define it that way, then it will get better traction than just saying "assault weapons" as the right have already prepared to defend against that argument. Arguing that weapons that can be made fully automatic should be banned might well carry the day (this traps the problem with a weapon that is designed to ber semi-automatic but could be made fully automatic... both need to be banned).

Had a lot of discussions over the weekend about the movement in America to reduce the weapons there. The march was awesome as were the speakers. We just hope it continues and doesn't just fade out. So please guys, see it through to the end.

@Gnarloc This is why I wanted input. Addressing "weapons that can be made fully automatic" is perfect. It doesn't narrowly target AK-47s or AR-15s. It doesn't touch other guns that are part of the fabric of our country, so to speak. Thank you.

Ex Armorer, Army/Infantry (no, you marines can't have my "infantry" status! You have all the other cool stuffs!), and Engineer (Electrical mind). I know the inner workings of the M16 which is the previous weapon to the AR-15, etc. The key is that, as I said, it was designed from the get-go to be fully automatic, military weaponry. It was 'dumbed down' and made semi-automatic (just a few adjustments) to become 'civilian ready'! Pah!

Long and short, and trying not to repeat myself, after arguing with and talking to several folks, I think that is the key issue here. We all know there is something different about these weapons. We don't have real issue with folks picking up a rifle/shotgun/pistol/bow/hatchet/paring knife/butter knife to go hunting... but... these weapons rankle me. I think about hunting with an M16 and, single fire, it's not hunting but harvesting. Fully auto? It's a waste of venison (or whatever). It is NOT a hunting rifle. It was designed for one thing: to maim/kill what it hits.

[sigh] I got me started. I don't have a problem with a weapon. I don't even have a problem with Assault rifles, where they belong. Assault weaponry belongs in the military, no where else.

Oh, and the 2nd amendment? I am come to believe that was drafted when the country did NOT have a standing army. We were, instead, designed to "raise a levy" when we needed a fighting force. If that were true today, then I probably would have NO trouble with every household having an Assault rifle (as in Switzerland, on average)... but I would REQUIRE that everyone pulls a 2 year stint in the military before receiving that rifle (government owned and issued). Thing is, we have a standing army. We also have well regulated militias (The Guard). We do not need these in the hands of civilians and anybody who thinks that they can use these to fight any government is insane.

Ok, shutting up now. 🙂

Locally in your area. Your legislators have to listen.

You are spot on. It isn't the instruments being played, it's the music being created.You can take away the cello, and someone will find a flute.

@Holysocks We need some movement toward reaction, of which I have seen no evidence.

Let's get started!

@Holysocks Where? How?

If you live in a small community, start by organizing an event at the local library so people can discuss and debate, then offer suggestions and the methods to see that suggestions are followed through with. You are asking a very disorganized person on how to organize. 🙂

If you cannot pay, you have no say.

Grassroots movements can vote some out and others in. Politicians do listen. But, atm they try smoke and mirrors to confuse the voters. It will take a few elections with many incumbents loosing their seat, before they will seriously listen.

@EdEarl I'm willing to facilitate political musical chairs if there is some progression towards something being done.

and a few more hundred shootings

@LeighShelton I severely offended a defender of semi-automatic weapons when I got personal--"I hope (name of her child's elementary school) is not the next target." Needless to say, the woman went ballastic! As if by saying it, it will happen!

@EllenDale The status quo is unacceptable. We must do something. I'm willing to listen to all ideas.

exactly my point @EllenDale. the people wanting guns haven't had their kids blown away and don't like being wrong.

@LeighShelton i agree. They'll act when it hits home and too late for many more victims. Shake My MotherFucking Head (SMMFH)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.