Agnostic.com

5 15

Today's hike: Hard ice and making pine needle baskets

Today Karen and I hiked four miles above Squilchuck State Park. The trail was thick ice. Even with micro-spikes, Karen, 71, slipped and fell hard twice. Badly bruised her elbow.

"I'm walking on the side of the trail on dirt, pine needles and soft snow," I told Karen. "Our micro-spikes can't bite into this rock-hard ice." Then she walked safely beside the trail. Where the trail was wall-to-wall ice, we walked on the hill above.

Karen and I gathered long, green Ponderosa pine needles for her to make baskets. Green needles bend easily. We chose trees that had blown down. Don't want to injure a live tree.

We decorated Karen's little nature shrine that she started several years ago in a burned-out tree stump. Other hikers add to it, too. Her rule is to use what's on the ground.

I felt delighted to see an open meadow with Aspen trees growing (light-colored bark). Webster's defines Aspens as "a tree with fluttering leaves." Aspen trees propagate by underground shoots. They are interconnected.

This area was selectively logged for fire protection. Glad the Aspens were untouched.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That basket is incredible.

@bigpawbullets

Here's my Haida Indian birch bark basket. In 1986, my artist husband and I traveled to the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia to find Haida Indian art.

Larger baskets were extremely expensive. This is all I could afford. I treasure it.

When you mentioned pine needles I envisioned the ones we have here, which are like toothpicks. Now those are industrial grade pine needles!

Great pictures. Nice shrine too

Aspen are a colony, all is one. If caterpillars start eating on one side of a colony, all trees in that colony (which might be acres) react to the caterpillars chemically, and rapidly so.

These colony trees were in part inspiration for the great trees in the film Avatar, communicating via shared roots.

@Trumpeter

"The Lord of the Rings" movie?

@Trumpeter NO
the Movie Avatar... where the trees have neural systems.
NOT LOTR where the Trees can be Ents (living walking guardians of nature)

The reality that the Aspens comminucate chemically across the colony about threats, insects, wildfires, are a main indication they are all essentially clones of that first one, interconnecxted clones.
That is what inspired those trees in the film (at least so I read)

Aspens are both beautiful and amazing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:447014
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.