Agnostic.com

7 4

Ta Da! Got my new, computerized sewing machine working.

Today I started sewing a washable (fake) suede vest. With interfacing, it was difficult to sew the curves in the front.

Discovered it was easier to sew curves after clipping notches in the seam margins. This made the fabric relax.

The front will have four black buttons. I feel proud that I got the new sewing machine working.

Will let the seams relax for a few hours. This develops the drape. Besides, I need a break.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is there a sewing machine that is easy to thread and can do light leather or leather like material?

@PondartIncbendog

It's easy to thread. Yes, it's powerful enough to sew leather.

@LiterateHiker Brands? Cost? Features? I need to make some motorcycle seat covers.

@PondartIncbendog

It's a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine. I got it on sale for $300 from Amazon with free shipping in August 2019.

Amazon had professional sewers try out all of the sewing machines they sell. They chose this sewing machine as #1 - the best.

@LiterateHiker Is it easy to thread?

@LiterateHiker Ok, watched a video of that machine. I don't need a spaceship with sewing abilities.
I need a simple machine, for a dummy.

@ToolGuy

Today I'm adjusting the vest to fit my body. Took it in 2" around the waist.

I have enough fabric leftover to add a 2-3 inch band at the bottom. Hooray!

@MizJ

Darn it! The vest is WAY too big for me. And it's too short. It's not worth making.

What a disappointment.

Not if you wear it with no bottom!

Awesome

"let the seams relax for a few hours"? Is this sewing, or pastry? 😆

@BitFlipper

Before hemming a garment I sewed, I always let it hang overnight to develop its drape.

The drape is basically the way fabric hangs or falls.

@LiterateHiker that's what I figured.

With Literate Hiker one never knows. She could start sewing muffins and baking blouses in the oven. She is smart and multi-talented. She is a great seamstress and a great baker. I know cause I gain weight every time I see a picture of something she baked. Good work!!

If the fabric doesn't want to slide well under the presser foot you could try a "teflon foot" or adjusting the amount of pressure.

MizJ Level 8 Jan 9, 2020

@MizJ

Thank you!

@LiterateHiker I have been sewing for 40+ years, clothes, quilts, home dec.

@MizJ

Good for you! Since age 12, I have been sewing clothes for myself, my daughter and mother.

Friends often ask me to hem or tailor clothes to fit them better.

Nice work! You’ve been trying to get that sewing machine to work for a little bit now. Glad you figured it out! Yay YouTube!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:447678
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.